1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My new kitchen...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jan 13, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've picked out most of what I want but I want your views/experiences on a couple of last things
    White cupboard doors: Yes, they're cute and will make the room light and airy, but are they practical to clean?
    Kitchen islands: Are they practical to have in the kitchen or do they just look good?
    Worktops: I'm thinking about a mostly wooden surface but I want a space which is granite for pastry-making but would I be better off just getting a granite block for this? I'm guessing that a wooden surface wouldn't as good for making pastry, bread .etc.

2. egyptgirl

I've picked out most of what I want but I want your views/experiences on a couple of last things
    White cupboard doors: Yes, they're cute and will make the room light and airy, but are they practical to clean?
    Kitchen islands: Are they practical to have in the kitchen or do they just look good?
    Worktops: I'm thinking about a mostly wooden surface but I want a space which is granite for pastry-making but would I be better off just getting a granite block for this? I'm guessing that a wooden surface wouldn't as good for making pastry, bread .etc.

3. If you cook a lot then I would stay away from white cupboard doors. Not practical and you'd spend forever cleaning it.
    Don't know about the rest of your questions.

4. I have off-white coloured doors. White is a bit glaring.
    I have wooden work tops - and this is fine for pastry.
    I like the look of an island - would never buy one - it does not fit in usually with the triangle - fridge, oven, cooker.
    A kitchen should be practical - not a pain in the a.rse.
    Think about what you cook, how often, what appliances you use most, etc, and not about how funky the kitchen looks.

5. egyptgirl

Some good advice, there. I am trying to not get carried away - Mr Egyptgirl wanted a media screen, a wine chiller and an in-built coffee machine!

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I personally wouldn't buy white doors as they may yellow over time where the sun hits them.

7. When we first moved to where we live now, we got a (cheap) wooden worktop from IKEA. Well, even before it was fitted, it had warped and had to be replaced twice, and despite regular oiling, it went black and fungus-ish round the taps. It only lasted ten years before we had to change it. I do realise that that last statement makes me sound terribly fuddy-duddy, in a 'we didn't have built-in obselesance in my day.....' kind of way. I now have granite, and when I make pastry, both kids can find a bit of space to join in with the rolling out and I can knead on the wooden table.
    I much prefer a table to sit at in the centre of my kitchen, but islands do look beautiful if you have the space or don't mind perching your family on stools.

8. egyptgirl

My "family" is only me and my fiance at the moment. There is a room just off of the kitchen which I think we will probably use as a less formal dining room. The kitchen is big so that an island wouldn't be unworkable - I just don't know if it would be practical.

9. I truly don't believe they are. They just look good.
    But don't let me sway you - if you think you want and need one, get one.
    I would not have one.

10. My grandma has always had an island in her kitchen for as long as I can remember. There are cupboards on two sides with drawers as well, and is the main workspace for her. Her kitchen isnt that big, but is big enough for the island, and a wide enough walkway on all 4 sides which is probably wide enough for a wheelchair. It does get in the way of the oven fridge cooker triangle, but her kitchen has a square anyway - the oven, hob, fridge and sink are on different sides of the room with the island slap in the middle.Works for her though ,and we can all stand around the island having a chat or a cuppa.
    I think it works :) and sometimes make the room more inviting because you can talk to people without your back to them.
    JSY x

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Ifyou want a sink/hob/oven in the island you have to think about how the plumbing/electrics/gas will arrive there : will mean digging up your floor, which will be messy;, difficult and possibly expensive !
    I had a white kitchen before, not a major problem to clean and I have four children....dark colours can be just as bad, shows evry speck of dust. I had beech effect worktops: not the constraints of wood, but looked good, easy to clean. Professionals use stainless steel, the most hygenic surface.

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I've cooked dinner for 12 in a kichen with 80cm of worktop, a two ring hob, a microwave and a sink ( entire working capacity ) in the first flat we shared. You'll be amazed at what you can do: you may well regret being so hasty to get everything just the way you're used to. I sincerely hope you don't, but I feel you're in too much of a hurry ( before you move in ??????)