1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My new Head has spoilt my dream job :-(

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachemma, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I'd like to read about anyone else's experiences of this and how you coped with it. My Head is a bully. Do you "put up and shut up" or leave?

2. Hi,
    I'd like to read about anyone else's experiences of this and how you coped with it. My Head is a bully. Do you "put up and shut up" or leave?

3. The latter.

4. You should keep a diary of any incidents and I would also seek advice from your Union. If there are any other staff in the same position as you they too should keep a diary. Good luck.

5. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I left. My colleague went part time. A total of nine staff resigned over the year.
    This year, another staff member has left, another is on sick leave.
    I do wish Ofsted / the LA would take notice.

But, as advised above, definitely keep a diary / timeline of events. It's shocking reading mine back. I still wonder why/how I put up with the appalling behaviour for so long.

6. redx11

redx11 New commenter

HR will do nothing. Leave if you can it will only get worse.
    Gove just suggested HTs can observe teachers as often as they want, just what bullying HTs will do until they have surrounded themselves with yes and brown nosed people. Unions not much help in this situation either in my experience.

7. keep a diary - make notes of witnesses to any bullying behaviour.
    NEVER be on your own with the head - always take a colleague to any feedbacks. meetings etc.
    inform your union of your situation - they can be a support and can keep an eye out for you.
    be wary of others - find out who you can reall trust.
    keep your head down - don't allow opportunities for criticism - remain one step ahead.
    look for another job - i did & was fortunate to find a caring head who recognises experience .

xxxx

8. Crunch22

Crunch22 New commenter

Suffered a bullying head for 2 years. This person totally destroyed all good will in school and lied to everyone. Went to LEO to get help. He told head I'd done this - even though my meeting with him was on 'informal and confidential' basis. I never knew this until day before I left when the head told me.
    Other staff members accepted bullying and wouldn't speak out. Their choice. No-one will do anything. LEAVE. I left and am now in a fantastic school. Faith restored in heads and colleagues. Interestingly, after 18mths at my new school, learnt that my new head hated my old head even more than I did and I nearly didn't get interviewed because I worked at the loathesome head's school. Everyone in the area knows what that person is like, but no-one will do anything about it. Good luck.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Depends on what your 'dream job' is and exactly what your new HT is doing.
    Is your new HT attempting to raise standards using acceptable methods? Have you been asked to teach a class/subject which is not your choice? Is your 'dream job' doing as little preparation and marking as possible? I am not saying this is so, but surely it would be appropriate to post some details before expecting a considered response from other posters.

10. I agree with the above. Sometimes Heads do become unpopular when they make changes that are necessary. Schools can be run in so many ways and the expectations of Heads differ greatly.
    If you are unhappy then only you can decide whether to accept the changes or look elsewhere for work. What ever happens the Head is there to stay !. Accusing them of being a bully is a strong without citing evidence and if they really are bullying you then you need to approach the union as what ever we suggest on here will serve no purpose.
    While there are a shortage of teaching jobs and in many areas jobs themselves, only you can decide. The grass isn't always greener and many managers and bosses upset their staff.

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I left.

12. I agree with crunch22 others will notice this bullying too. I left after going on the sick through stress, she was very pally with the governors (the ones that mattered anyway) and so had them on side, always doing favours for them etc. When I left I was left to look incapable. I wish I had told the governors exactly why I was leaving in a professional and clear way, as within about 9 months 5 other members of staff left too.
    It does seem that this type of person tends to get results though and this is another problem, if they are moving the school forward everyone in authority seems blinded to what sort of character they really are and who is getting hurt.

13. If you have timed and dated incidences that are against professional conduct, write them all down and write a letter to the governors outlining them. If it is so bad that you are considering leaving, what have you got to lose?
    What they should then do is conduct an investigation and hopefully other staff would then speak out.
    Our headteacher is currently under investigation for allegations relating to professional conduct - we were all feeling low but it only took one letter to the governors to get the ball rolling then we all had our chance to speak out.
    Leaving fixes the problem for you - but if you cant stand the thought of him/her continuing to do this to other members of staff, write the letter. Even if it does nothing and you then leave - when someone else in a few months/years writes a letter, hopefully they'll start to take notice.

14. I fought and got compensation. A member of staff committed suicide. The LEA never listen, so leave.

15. I wish people would support me in the notion of a professional mechanism through which we can give feedback readily.
    This is 'upwards evaluation' and it is sorely, and wrongly, missing from the teaching profession.
    The trouble is that no matter how much I mention it on the TES threads, no one ever responds.
    Is it lack of interest? Lack of belief that we can change anything?
    I am not teaching now but I am still passionate about the rights of teachers and others working in schools to be able to feedback with their professional observations and so on. It can be on anything - man management, time management, official initiatives - anything - but there is no mechanism that really caters for this.
    Any comments?
    If I had some support for once, I would do something about it. I already attended a TES conference when Gove, Balls etc. were speaking but they kind of looked blank and my question was sidelined by some other chap's question. The TES chap did not manage the meeting well.
    But, if anyone thinks this is a good idea - and even has any suggestions, they would be very welcome.

16. QFE

QFE New commenter

A very good point, Debbie. It was (is?) part of the NPQH waffle, but as I recall the results were never shared with the whole staff it just allowed the manager to contemplate and then ignore.
    One of the big issues with school is the fractured and isolated nature of the parts of the organisation. In the real world, you may be constantly in the sight of your boss, see his/her manager daily and often have a working relationship with them as the resident expert in your area and so on all the way up the chain of command. There is therefore more transparency and far less opportunity for 'bullying'. Not so in schools.
    Strangely, this happened to me in my first non-educational job, but the other 'heads' could see what was going on and I was soon moved into another area and florished. The 'bully' likewise was ultimately moved to an equivalent post with <u>no staff to manage</u>, and was very happy and successful. I've never met the head of the LA, but I ended up sharing the table in the canteen with the CEO a couple of times.
    This sort of thing just does not happen in schools. Exit one highly experienced teacher.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Possibly, but not an absolute.
    There is a rigorous 360 degree evaluation system in place at the school at which I am HT. This includes all members of the SLT, the HT and the governors.
    Lack of first hand knowledge, possibly. 360 degree evaluation is in place at a considerable number of schools to my certain knowledge.
    Absolute poppycock!

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

At larger schools only though, I'd venture...?
    Such a thing is more difficult to implement in a smaller school; a one form entry primary for example.
    I can only speak from experience, obviously.

19. QFE

QFE New commenter

'At larger schools only though, I'd venture...?'
    Agree with that one, Nick.
    Nomad, sounds like you have grasped the bull by the horns and gone for it. Nice one. I'm sure your school reaps the rewards of that sort of honesty. Mention 360 evaluation to a group of heads/SMT, in my experience, results in backsides twitching like a rabbit's nose.
    Strange that. It's never bothered me when I was I that situation. 'A good head is slowly discovered, a bad head is quickly found out.'
    If only that were true.

20. I quite agree. Staff morale at my school is very high with every teacher walking round with a spring in their step. However, this is because we have been through the painful period which was needed to drive up previously weak standards and the school is now in a strong position. Bullying heads do exist, but it is difficult to say whether yours is one or whether they have simply been challenging underperformance.