1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"My mum says you can't take my phone"

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by be47, Oct 26, 2015.

1. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It is an addiction and needs to be treated like any addiction.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi for forthejoyofit

As wanet says and I agree mobile phone use is an addiction for some students.

I detest mobile phones in schools since as you say, even if you can get through to students about not playing games and keep them in their pockets, the students' minds are on the phone, its messages, the vibration of the phone and the constant checking of the phone without talking to their peers.

Recently, I went to one school where phones are banned almost completely: in the classrooms and in the common rooms like the cafeteria. I don't know about the play areas outside since I don't know how they would enforce that.

Students walk into classrooms with their phones glued onto the palm of their left hand. I work as a supply teacher and stand by the door greeting students; when I see a phone, I ask politely that they put it away before thy enter the room. Another thing I have to stop and do without having enough to do already.

The real problem becomes when there is a policy of mobile phone use in schools, but some teachers let the students use mobile phones to listen to music while they "work". If there is no consistency about the use of mobile phones, then students think they can use them in every lesson.