1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"My mum says you can't take my phone"

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by be47, Oct 26, 2015.

1. johnthomas1982

johnthomas1982 New commenter

remind the child about the school's policy on phones then instruct said child to hand it over where it will be labeled and stored until the parent comes to retrieve it. If the child refuses then remove the child from the class and ask the supervisor to intervene.

2. Assian

Assian New commenter

I work in a very challenging school and phones are totally banned. Unfortunately we still have problems with them, however I will never argue with a kid about a phone let alone about his mum encouraging that kind of behaviour. Most parents are supoortive but I had to take a phone from a child once.
    I courteously let the mother know about the incident and, big surprise, she was absolutely vile on the phone to me. She is the one who called the boy, hence why I took the phone and instead of apologising, she blamed me for every single problem in her life.

Anyway all this to say that phones are a nuisance and that they shouldn't be allowed despite what parents say. If she isn't happy. Move your kid school or home-school them!

As far as the child is concern, the situation is clear, you hand the phone in and you'll have it back at the end of the day. Or I will call duty and you will be placed in Internal exclusion for the rest of the day, or I will call your carer and they will have to come and pick you up because you are being sent home for gross defiance. The clearer the boundaries, the better for you. This might sound extreme but it works and noone in the class will get their phone out.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

In my doc's surgery, phones don't work. No networks. And this is in a 'normal' town area. I wonder if there's a jammer? And if so, given all the problems they cause now-it's not just noise and hatting as in the nineties-why don't schools have jammers? Would be genuinely interested to know.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Phone jammers are illegal in the UK. Lack of reception will be due to the design of the surgery (e.g. steelwork acting like a Faraday cage) or the position of its walls in relation to local phone masts.

wanet likes this.
  5. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

Perhaps one could point the mother in the direction of the school policy - a policy which hopefully does state that no mobiles are allowed in the classroom at all. Parents would have signed up to this 'dictate' when entering their son/daughter to the school. The fact that the child will not hand over the mobile - as difficult as it may be, ignore and continue with the lesson, saving the lecture for the parents who should be contacted by the Head. We have an adhered to policy of no mobiles in the classroom / playground. If you are clear about your policies, admonish when necessary, it becomes accepted. Of course there will occasionally be someone who will challenge this ruling, but then deal with it from the top.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Schools with steel frames can act in a similar way.

7. Muldersfox

Muldersfox New commenter

The bottom line is that kids don't need mobile phones whatsoever. If they need them to contact their parents, what's wrong with the school office/reception? When I was at school almost no-one had a mobile.

There's too much casual acceptance of children's rights to (expensive) mobile devices as well as other things and schools' inability to enforce stringent rules only reinforces this message.

At the end of the day, they're at school to learn and we as taxpayers fund their education. It's not acceptable that we as teachers have to constantly berate kids for these things. It ruins the education of those who can behave and is a severe drain of money in education when you consider how much time collectively schools spend per day on just this one issue.

If schools took a path of zero tolerance we wouldn't be in this mess and to my mind every school should be made to enforce parental agreements. If for example little Jimmy keeps getting his phone out he has to find another school. If that disadvantages his parents then tough. Perhaps they should bring him up to have manners.

8. perendis

perendis New commenter

It's an all too common "modern age problem". Perhaps schools should spend time in the morning "forcing" pupils to put their phones in a "safe deposit" under the school's guard. The phones can be retrieved at close of play. I might create a job for someone, handling the bureaucracy, and it mlght also deter pupils from bringing the things in. If a pupil is found to have not declared their phone, then the "penalties" should be made clear, the head gets involved and so it escalates.
    Other than that, phones, like notes being passed around the classroom are one more mental drain in and already demanding job.
    Sort of lots of responsibilities foisted on teachers with very little power, except the power of bluff.

9. MissWinder

MissWinder New commenter

Ask the student to report to the head. Tell them they are welcome to return to your room when they are willing to show respect and follow your instructions for a purposeful working environment.

10. perendis

perendis New commenter

There is probably no "best way". However "teachers' survival" is important, and keeping out of pointless arguments saves nervous energy. The real issue here, though, I think, is that yet another social problem - the mobile phone - is dumped on the desk of the teacher who has very little power over it. The school has more power. So, if the schools were to organise a system whereby phones could be brought onto the premises, but not any further, as a school rule, then anyone breaking that rule (smuggling the thing in ...) be told they faced a penalty.
    Perhaps if the school arranged that before lessons started, some form of Support Assistants called a "mobile phone safety operators" or some other grandiose title, were there to register all the phones in a given form then it might bore the kids into thinking no phone no register ... phew.
    The point is that the teacher should't, I don't think, be there to "police" all aspects of the kids. At least not without more actual power, other than bluffing through it.
    Given the drain of the "drip drip" effect on the teacher, it's probably no surprise that people keep moaning about teacher shortages (even the ARMY doesn't seem too keen on teaching), skills gaps, and lowering of standards.
    Mind you, the mobile phone companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

11. perendis

perendis New commenter

Yup that's it. Just do that nationwide, and ...

12. zbrearley

zbrearley New commenter

The 'Put it on my desk option in the next minute' one is a really good way to deal with it. It gets rid of a lot of the confrontation - they are not physically handing it to you and you aren't staring them down while they hand it over - just carry on teaching and it gets handed in 9 times out of 10. The SMT backup usually sorts out the other 1.

13. perendis

perendis New commenter

There's an "irony" here. How many thousands of words are being generated by the combination of the mobile phone companies, and the attitude of pupils and parents to school and their "loyalty" to the phone. And the phone companies wil be loving the proxy advertising.

Quiet, calm, concentration.
    I think it fair to guess that the real "enemy" of the kids is the exam board, and the marks and reports they get at important points in their "schooling (to become adults)". Their teachers are presumably their important allies in this bun fight. So, schooling that idea into them might help reduce the number of words being written in this thread, with the associated mental effort, all of which could be diverted to, dare i say it, teaching ?

I've recently had about 30 email exchanges with someone I'd sent a powerpoint slide show to asking for an opinion. The opinion offered was about 10 words which were "namby pamby" positive. The other exchanges seemed to be spent arguing about how I could get more detailed information from the person. NOTHING to do with the contents of the show.
    And draining for me, possibly fun for the other person.

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This is not be the approved method....

pepper5 likes this.
  15. perendis

perendis New commenter

That's the big problem. WILL they back it up ? If the school policy were that any pupil bringing a phone into the school HAD to be deposited with the school, and a £1 administration fee was charged. Pupils "being caught" with phones (smuggling) were then taken out of lessons then the load on the teachers would be reduced.
    The real winners in this bun fight, though, are the phone companies and the pupils.
    Pupils and parent may think that they "know best" in how to run a school. Years ago, it was probably the other way round.
    Should Morgan, or one of her colleagues step in and announce that it was "guidelines" for phones to be deposited, that may help.
    DO, they, though "WANT" to help ?

16. FayeCurran29

FayeCurran29 New commenter

so what are parents supposed to do while theyre at uni then? just abandon their children entirely for several hours? parents need to be able to be parents all the time and work as well. just because that doesnt currently fit in a workplace doesnt mean it shouldn't change.

17. perendis

perendis New commenter

Go back to pre mobile phone days.
    What happened then ?
    It is possible that, due to the way the phone companies have advertised/manipulated people's brains, it's now more of a nervous compulsion among "busy people" to have the trendy "latest gadget and latest app".
    At schools, there is the help of the school office, with a phone for pupils.
    At work, the workers phones should be off when on site. Should the workers wish to press a few buttons and "chat drivel" to someone, then they can go to the same place where the smokers must go - off site. Perhaps there should be a demarcation area for "nervy button pressers and apps users and smokers".
    In the meantime, and again, the phone companies are now laughing to the point of hysterical delerium, all the way to the bank, bulging with money. A brilliant brain washing coup. A coup de grace, in fact, perhaps.

18. pb347

pb347 New commenter

19. pb347

pb347 New commenter

Response: My mum told me that when you go to school you do what teachers tell you to do because even though you might not understand why, teachers are trying to do their best for every single child. I am quite prepared to speak to your mum and inform her of the school's policy if she is not aware. If she is aware and disagrees then she is perfectly entitled as your legal guardian to find another school with policies that are more agreeable to her good self. However, if- as is more likely, you are simply trying to find a reason not to hand over your phone when you know perfectly well it is against school policy for extremely good reasons, then you have a short opportunity to hand over your phone or this situation will get worse for you. Make your choice. And certainly for anyone else that encourages you to break school policy(if necessary)

Ultimately this might not work in that instantaneous moment. This doesn't matter-escalate the situation in accordance with your own school's policy.

The "win" might not be immediate, but it should be enough to deter copycats and when the matter is resolved-through sanctioning/parental communication, there will be an understanding that here is a boundary!! Be prepared to lose the battle, but communicate to everyone else that you will win the war. Eventually-if the others care enough(they probably just want to get on)they will find out that the war was won.

Ultimately, students who do not comply should be warned up until the stage that they should leave the classroom or be removed. Yes, even for a phone because it is a reasonable instruction from a member of staff.

pepper5 likes this.
  20. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

I have got through to my students about not playing games etc. BUT even with the phone in the pocket the attention is on what the message might be, the phone vibrating, excuses, 'can I go to the toilet/get a drink', all he wants to do is check the phone, obsessed with it. The lesson is an inconvenience that happens in between the important stuff. During break times they are all out there, checking their phones, not talking to one other. I read one of the messages on a confiscated phone once, it was from his mate next door, 'i'm bored wot u doin'. Ye gods.