1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"My mum says you can't take my phone"

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by be47, Oct 26, 2015.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi purplecarrot

Are you primary or secondary?

Where are the phones stored? Are students allowed to keep them in their bags as long as they are off, or are they turned into an office each morning?

My vision would be to not have phones in the classes at all, it I don't know how I work it out since in a large school that would take a lot of resources to collect phones and return them in the afternoon.

2. jollyjokermark

jollyjokermark New commenter

"put it away or it goes on eBay", seems to work well for me, show them you are being reasonable, and if then not follow school procedure.

if she school has a set procedure follow it to the tee and the students will know they have nowhere to go with it

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Our school used to have a policy of one warning before confiscation of phone - although the girls would tuck the phone into their bra and defy you to take it.... at which point I would tell them I would get the scary female DH to come and do it!

What worked for year 7 & 8 was to tell them to all get their phones out - check that they were off (NOT in silent, but OFF), and then put them in their bags. At the same time I would hold up my own phone and show them that my phone went in my bag and as I didn't use my phone during the lesson I didn't expect them to. Any phones out after that got taken away.

JulieNoob likes this.
  4. ankitjainin

ankitjainin New commenter

Why not use parental eye like mylyapp. Schools and Colleges use parent teacher communication app. Even students and parents suggest apps like this to teachers, and teacher suggest parent teacher communication app to Admin.
    When there is way, why not found it, using app by teacher in the classroom parents get real time activities from institutes.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

?

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Just recently went to a school where they have banned mobile phones in the classrooms, halls, and communal areas. It is brilliant. No phones. No hassle.

JulieNoob and sabrinakat like this.
  7. DanBrown360

DanBrown360 New commenter

I think we need to look at what phones can do these days. Yes parents may want to be able to contact their child after school to say they are running late to pick them up or have a phone in case of an emergency. That doesn't mean they need a mobile computer in their pocket with in some cases unfiltered internet access.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry but this makes no sense whatsoever. besides why would I want an app on my personal phone that connects me to a parent?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I went on a speed awareness course earlier this year, taken as an alternative to a £100 fiexed penalty and three points on my licence. At the start of the course we were told that anyone whose phone rang during the four hours would be asked to leave immediately. The miscreant would lose the £97 course fee AND have to pay the fixed penalty and suffer the points.

Most of us went as far as removing the batteries from out phones after that - but not one boy racer, whose mobile went off in the first 20 minutes. True to their word, he was told to leave.

10. emmaushead

emmaushead New commenter

You can hand it over now and get it back at the end of the lesson, or I can call a pastoral manager/SMT/HoD and you hand it over and get it back at the end of the day.

11. leemurphy1

leemurphy1 New commenter

My thoughts exactly! There are many girls that do it too - probably texting a boy in another classroom and vice versa haha

JulieNoob likes this.
  12. missginty

missginty New commenter

When the child takes out the phone for the first time in class, remind everybody that phones are not allowed in the classroom and remind them of the consequences (depending on school policy), not looking at anyone in particular. ( In my school the policy would be that the phone gets taken off them and will not be returned unless a parent comes in for it. Parents must sign this contract at start of year and is part of the school policy)
    Give the class independent work to do and go to students desk and discretely ask the child to put it away.
    If this does not work write a note to a person in authority (principal, year head, class tutor etc) and discretely ask another child to deliver the message. On the note ask the person in authority to come to your room at the end of the lesson.
    At the end of the lesson ask the student to stay behind. don't do this until right before the end to avoid confrontation. Both the teacher and the person in authority can request the student to hand over the phone. This usually works.
    If the teacher tries to confiscate the phone on their own the student may deny having the phone and a teacher has no right to go through a persons school bag. When there are two people present there is more likelihood that the student will hand over the phone.

13. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The problem with Mobile Phone policies in school is consistency (Mr X lets me have my phone out, or Miss Y gives me 2 chances, etc, etc). What I find most frustrating is when SMT, especially a new head looking to establish themselves, introduces a zero tolerance approach to Mobile Phones which soon falls by the wayside. E.g. in a previous school new phone policy went along the lines of "anyone refusing to hand over their phone inform SMT immediately who will deal with it" Worked great for a week, after that SMT were delegating HoD to respond, 2 weeks later HoDs were telling teachers to send referrals for phone issues, in other words back to square one! To be honest I don't know the answer, banning them is unworkable (at least for most schools) so we have to learn to live with them. Unfortunately I've dealt with too many pupils whose phone needs to be surgically removed who would willingly be excluded (and have been) before handing over their phone. "You have a choice Stacy, hand it over to me or SMT" "They're not getting it either, wait and see" Mrs Stacy "Why are you phoning me, it's only a *** phone, she needs it for her nail appointments" Isn't teaching wonderful!

14. harmoon

harmoon New commenter

There are a few issues here:
    1. How effective is your school's management team in following through on policy?
    2. Your intervention should be less disruptive than the child's behaviour. Ultimatums basically give you nowhere else to go.
    3. How supportive will the parent be?
    4. What are your goals with the child?

I have worked in a couple of schools where management make a policy that basically sets up its staff for confrontation. In such cases, frankly, policy should be ignored.
    Please consider this: the smart phone is a device that brings all human knowledge to the fingertips. Then again it can be used to play flappy bird. The former activity is a life skill to be encouraged, so I would be inclined to develop the child's "Google Fu" and engage them on a quest for knowledge aligned with the learning outcomes. Proper praise and motivation can be applied, especially if the child then tranfers their learning to the book. In this way you engage the child and maybe give them a method to display their progress that is more appropriate and successful.
    If the child chooses "flappy bird" I'd disengage, state that I would deal with the issue at a convenient time and I would later telephone the parent and have a conversation about what the school policy was and how I had tried to get a positive outcome from the child and how their refusal to cooperate had necessitated a detention, or other policy mandated sanction. I would mention what the child had said and ask for clarification from the parent. I would log the incident, whatever the child chose to the child's file, email year head, form tutor, head teacher etc and I would ask for their clarification of policy and clear guidelines on what to do in such cases.
    Having had a couple of robust conversations with senior managers concerning mobile phones and their "fair use" I believe strongly that trying to resist the use of phones entirely, as luddites might resist steam looms, is problematic because of the potential for conflict. Provided that the devices can log on via school wifi and be appropriately filtered the profession needs to shift emphasis to embrace the new technology and steer its use towards more productive outcomes. Making the playing of games or checking Bookface etc a socially unacceptable process as far as the kids are concerned is the goal. Ensure that no one wants to be "that dumb kid that plays flappy bird". Once you hear "Sir, Tom's playing Flappy Bird!" then you have won.
    I have phones in the classroom. I encourage kids to use them but to do so properly. I hide QR codes around my school to stimulate enquiry and encourage vigilance. Kids use video and time lapse to display their learning. The tool is a useful addition to my arsenal of teaching paraphernalia and I will not be dictated to by anyone on its use. Not the child, not the parent, not the head and not the governor or government.

In a nutshell, my advice to you is to take control of the device for academic profit by engaging in the policy making process. That way, YOU decide how any tech is used in the class. Bring education and pedagogy into the 21st century.

elthorne and bigsadie like this.
  15. baldric

baldric New commenter

I think zero tolerance is the best approach. I also believe that all teachers should sign up to the school policy as there are often inconsistencies in the way in which school phone policies are implemented. Speaking of which, would anyone like to share what their school policy actually states?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  16. michelebsmith

michelebsmith New commenter

If there is a system of removal, then this requires the child to be removed. On call possibly. Indicate to the student you will call home to emphasize the school rules and the consequences.Do not confront student.

17. forzasslazio

forzasslazio New commenter

First thing to consider is the likelihood of the student complying with your request. This may avoid a difficult situation escalating in a class with a difficult student who has the confidence of knowing his / her mother completely supports his / her actions regardless of what they do. While I agree with all other contributions, an alternative approach would be to be polite with the student and state you want everybody focused and learning and you will not allow anyone to disturb that group learning. If the student continues, get the head of department involved.

18. ssuzannejones

ssuzannejones New commenter

Starting in Yr 7 have a general policy in your classroom regarding any items which you do not want the children to have out in your lessons. Give them examples of what these might be. Try "Put it in your bag or on my desk". This gives them an option and they then feel they have not lost face in front of their peers. At the end of the lesson ask them to remain behind. When the rest of the class have left you have the option to confiscate the phone and there is then no confrontation in front of the class. If they refuse to hand it over then you take it to the next level. They soon get the idea but you need to be consistent. It really needs to be a school policy for it to work. Train them early! Remind them at the start of every half term. It's not 100% but it's worth a try to avoid a big scene in the lesson. Have a poster on your wall with a mobile phone surrounded by a red circle and line through it . Just pointing at it can do the trick.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I can't recall from where, but someone had a fishtank in their room containing mobile phones under water. It got the message across.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  20. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Ha ha! I love it!

We don't have too much problem (primary) only Yr 6 seem to bring them to school. They have to be left in the office. We have considered/ joked about having a special shelf built. Quite a lot of our Year 3s received an iphone6 for Christmas! Presuming they can then go and play several streets/ miles away from home because they are safe. Hmm.