1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"My mum says you can't take my phone"

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by be47, Oct 26, 2015.

1. be47

be47 New commenter

"My mum says you can't take my phone" - continues to play on phone and distract others, and now there's the added distraction of me doing the 'broken record' and asking for it back multiple times. What's the best way to respond to this?

lewiscymru and ankitjainin like this.
  2. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

My approach

You have two choices
    1. You hand the phone over right now as ive asked. I will phone your mum to confirm what you have said and explain the phones are not allowed out in the classroom
    2. You go outside and accept that this gets taken to the next level. At which point he is removed for defiance or something, maybe moved to another classroom.

Its your choice but you have about 10 seconds to make it.

There is always the third option of shall we call your mum right now and see if thats true but i wouldnt use that unless i was 110% sure the kid was lying.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Get your HoD to call his mum and to explain what is happening. Also the HoD should explain that if he has the phone out again, in future lessons he won't be allowed the phone in lessons, but will have to leave it at the school office in the morning and pickmit up in the afternoon. Explain to the mum that hernchild is off task and disturbing others.

If the mum kicks up a fuss, then get the Head involved and send her a letter in connection with school's policy on mobile phone use in the classroom.

smeechdog and donkihot like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I get this all the time. I give a choice:
    • You put it on my desk just now, promise I will never see it again and get it back at the end of the lesson.
    • We get SMT along so you can explain why you've chosen to refuse to follow a polite request to put the phone away. You'll get a discipline referral, detention and lose your phone for at least the day.
    It works for me but that's in a school where SMT will back me.

5. be47

be47 New commenter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll try reminding her that it's a school policy and referring up to SMT if it doesn't happen. I can only hope they'll be as interested in backing up that particular whole school policy as I am!

jsnaith likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I want a job in such a school!

LiamD, Phoenixing, diane1987 and 6 others like this.
  7. Robfreeman

Do your SLT teach?

8. joedoggyuk

joedoggyuk New commenter

Phone his mum in front of the class.
    Ask her to stop changing her lipstick.

9. be47

be47 New commenter

All 3 deputes do, and the head has only been in the post a few years and used to be a depute who taught, so they're all familiar with the phone in class dilemma!

So far she hasn't got the phone out again, and I think being reminded it's a school policy, not just me being awkward, is definitely helping.

On a side note, loving the way lots of people have assumed the awkward student is a boy! Not quite sure why...

Courtneypxx, JulieNoob and leemurphy1 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Be47

Thanks for the update...good to hear you have managed to get the student to stop using her phone in class. Well done.

Today I had the most bizzare thing happen. It wasn't a mobile but a joke book. The student got this brightly illustrated joke book out to read like he was at the seaside!

11. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Forget your school's policy. You have a legal right to confiscate the phone:

The general power to discipline (as described in the bullets following paragraph 12 above) enables a member of staff to confiscate, retain or dispose of a pupil’s property as a punishment and protects them from liability for damage to, or loss of, any confiscated items. The legislation does not describe what must be done with the confiscated item and the school behaviour policy may set this out.​

See https://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/downloadableDocs/Behaviour and Discipline in schools.doc

This has been the law for a long time, but one of the coalition education acts specifically reiterated it.

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The smart kids (well, that kind of smart) keep two mobiles, one which is available for confiscation and the other the latest model which they will continue to use after the confiscation of the other. Some sleight of hand as they juggle the two before handing last year's model over.....
    That said, a confiscate-and-return-via-Tutor system is a sound deterrent, especially of the teacher and the Tutor can work together to be just that little bit inefficient - and therefore annoying to the miscreant!

CJev and pepper5 like this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks candysdog and skeoch for the posts.

I have never considered students having two phones...one as a backup in case one gets confiscated.

I work as a supply teacher and I hate dealing with mobile phone use in classes. If I were a head teacher, I would ban them entirely from all classes. Don't ask me how I would do it, bit I would find a way.

questionsandanswers likes this.
  14. Robfreeman

Found that SLT who teach tend to be far more supportive althought I base these views on when I was doing supply a while back. The place I'm at has always had a teaching SLT.

15. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I teach FE. Totally fed up with adults who insist on having their phone on their desk in case their poor diddums child has a problem and needs to phone. They might be taken ill at school and school may phone etc ..etc... etc..
    How these people expect to get and retain a job is beyond me. The argument that phones are not allowed in schools, not allowed in universities and not allowed int the workplace falls on deaf ears.
    A teacher texting in class would be liable for a disciplinary.

questionsandanswers likes this.
  16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Sadly, just as some are addicted to playing computer games, others are addicted to their mobile phones. Not sure you overcome the addiction. However, i do love proving Mum says that you can't do this wrong!

17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I have even seen people checking their phones in church.

Everywhere it seems the style is to hold your smart phone in your right hand while you parade about.

No one talks to each other anymore...it is all texting and I find it ever so depressing.

19. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I'm always looking at my phone in Church - it's where my Bible is!

At my school, if a students has a phone out in class then they get it confiscated (parent has to come and get it from Reception at the end of the day) and an immediate 1 hour after school detention. Sometimes a pupil refuses to hand over their phone (although this has only happened to me once in 7 years) and then SMT get called and then they deal with the miscreant :)

20. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

That's exactly how it is at my school. They are allowed on the way to and from school. From the minute you're on site, they're off (policy specifically says silent or isn't acceptable) and out of sight. If a phone is seen anywhere on site, it's immediatly confiscated by staff and placed in the school safe. Sanctions issued on top of it.
    I've not seen a single phone all week.
    Parents know the rules and send their children to the school because it has good discipline. Don't like the rules, find another school.