1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My mum doesn't understand me....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

...but you do....don't you, my lovely Cookery TESer friends!

So. allow me to explain, so you can offer sympathy and support...

"Hey mum, have you seen the new Lakeland Catalogue!"
    "Oh yes, some lovely stuff in there - as always! - but I think I'll pass on ordering anything this time."
    "Yeah, well maybe you missed......this!" *beth pushes open catalogue across te coffee table*
    "What am I supposed to be looking at?"
    "Well, this...obviously!....the absolutely awesomely amazing Silicone Steamer Case'
    "WHAT! ...it's £35!"
    "It's ONLY £34.99!"
    "Hmmm...doesn't it just do exactly what you do with your paper bag thingy?"
    "No....well....but it can go in the microwave OR the oven!"
    "So can your paper bag....and it's £35!"
    "No it's NOT!!! And it would be so useful!"
    "Really! How often do you do your fish or chicken in a bag thing?"
    "Once a month or so....but I'd do it at least once a week if I had one of these!"
    "Du bist unmoeglich!...wie ein Kind..."
    *beth scuttles off to the kitchen to make the coffee...it's never a good thing when the German insults start!"

I NEED one of these...honestly...and I'd use it ever so often...and it is a bargain at only £34.99...tell my mum I need one!...it'd make a lovely Easter pressie!...
    And it's her fauly anyway...she's the one who got me hooked on Lakeland.

(PS....I think I NEEDa new set of pans too - in those funky colours - mine are just sooooo boring!....will you tell mum or shall I!)

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We'll round up your mum along with my wife and have a two-pronged attack on them both Bethannie.
    This is an approximation of the conversation we had in TK Maxx the other day:
    Me: Ooh, look. Chasseur casseroles. A 6 litre one, look. Cast Iron. Good price too.
    Her: Hmmmm.
    Me: £65! They're about £130 normally! They're pretty much as good as Le Creuset as well, just little cheaper.
    Her: Where would you keep it?
    Me: In the pan drawer, above the oven.
    Her: It won't fit.
    Me: I'll make it fit
    Her: You'll have to get rid of that vast old metal pan you use for stocks and that.
    Me: Get rid of my stockpot! Never! A 1000 curses upon you, woman!
    Her: And what about the myriad glass and ceramic baking dishes in that cupboard that I hate with a passion, the one under the toaster, you can get rid of some of those, surely.
    Me: No! They all have their uses!
    Her: Well, it's them or the casserole.
    Me: Hmmm.
    *considers bringing up the subject of her dresses, coats and shoes but accepts this is a battle he'll never, ever win and so just cuts losses and leaves*

Some people will just never understand, Bethannie.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Fancy being unmoeglich on a Tuesday morning.
    What do you expect, really!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had a very similar conversation with o/h, Nick, when I brought home a 30cm shallow enamelled casserole that I had picked up in Aldi for a song.
    <u>He</u> calls it "the unnecessary pot"
    <u>I</u> keep it on the hob and use it most days - a thing of beauty it is

5. Oh the joys of not having to discuss with anyone what you buy or what you need!
    Having said that, I am a right scrooge and still cook in my battered old faithfuls...
    And I still haven't bought anything from Lakeland or Le Creuset...

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My fiance bought me a tiny little box grater (for nutmeg/ginger.etc.) as a 'joke' present because he thinks I'm obsessed with kitchen equipment (he'd rather spend the money on guitars). The joke's on him because not a week has gone by since he bought it that I haven't used it!

7. Well, this morning I bought one of those fancy aluguss (no idea what you call that in English) casserole dishes that you can use in the oven, on the hob, etc. with a fancy lid with this thing you can pour liquid through.
    Well - honestly, it was reduced to an amazing TWENTY euros and was staring at me saying "Please, take me home and use me".
    I couldn't just leave it there, sad and alone and unused. It needs a family life, filled with gorgeous onepot meals or cuts of meat, hands in oven gloves to caress it and a good old washing up cloth to tickle it before it is put to bed.
    It would have been awful of me not to adopt it.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

LOL at CQ! I have a collection of Le Creuset casseroles (mostly given to me as presents by friends who know me SOO well) which I treat as you describe. I love them almost as much as my son.

9. Crikey, I need your friends!
    I had a conversation with my boss recently about knives [​IMG]
    We both possess the same ones (the Thomas ones) and were swooning about how faithful they are and how blissful it is to chop with them.
    I think our colleagues thought we were a bit mad, judging by the rolling of eyes...

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Si - where can I find friends like these?!
    My fiance jokingly suggested sending out copies of the Lakeland catalogue to friends and highlighting what I'd like instead of a wedding list...at least I think he was joking!

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I bet you can set up a wedding list on their website...