1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My mother and my ex...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by steffiw, Apr 18, 2011.

1. My mother and step father have invited my ex husband to go on holiday with them for two weeks at the beginning of October. Our 19 year old daughter is going too, but I'm really confused and upset about it. I don't understand why you would want to take your ex son in law on holiday even if your granddaughter is going. She cannot and will not understand how I feel.

When we were married she didn't like him, found him difficult to talk to, and said I should never have married him. I've tried talking to her but she thinks it's perfectly acceptable.

Sleeping arrangements are strange too - it's a one bed apartment with a double sofa bed in the living room!

I'm glad my daughter gets a holiday but I'm really struggling to understand why he's been invited and why he's agreed to go.

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Were you invited initially?

3. Isn't it nice that he will be having a holiday with his daughter?
    It wouldn't bother me - a lot of my family are still in touch with my ex.
    What exactly is upsetting you? That you were not invited? Or were you? Isn't it nice that they can get along? It must be nice for your daughter, surely?

4. I have to admit I find it odd that they would ask and that he would accept. Your daughter is certainly old enough to be going on holiday without a parent, and if it's to provide company for her then there are surely others that would be more suitable to take.
    If your kids were younger then I could perhaps understand your parents inviting you along to help look after them.
    Did you have an invite too?
    It is nice that they feel friendly enough towards him to feel comfortable enough to do this, but it would still make me feel awkward. If you've split up with someone (however amicably) there was obviously a reason and enough bad feeling to facilitate that split, and your parents should be thinking about how this would make you feel.