1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My lovely little girl...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Oh bless her! Do you mean she's starting primary or secondary school?
    What about offering a treat after her first 'big day'? Pizza for tea, a DVD, a small present, something like that.
    Hope it goes well!

2. Meant to add that I was very nervous of change as a child, but it never seemed half as bad if I had something to look forward to [​IMG]

3. By BIG School, I presume you mean secondary school? I think something to look forward to when she comes home would be better tham Kalms, my opinion, for what it's worth.

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Surely a certain amount of nerves for a new environment is natural. I wouldn't want to give a child 'something' to take for that as learning to deal with things is part of life. Better they learn to cope using their own inner strengths IMHO. A nice treat and a natter about her day sounds good to me..

5. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

My own "little one" starts secondary tomorrow too and my big one starts 6th form this week so I am feeling nervous for both of them!
    I agree that they have to learn to deal with things, but maybe Kalms might help as more of a placebo effect to take the edge off things!
    Can she meet up with a friend tomorrow so they can go in together?
    Good Luck to all newbies!

6. My youngest started secondary school today. We now have a bag of fun size chocolate to celebrate a good day!
    I had butterflies dropping her off.........

7. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

She's starting Secondary. Thanks to you all for your positive comments. I don't know why I'm feeling this way about her starting her new school. I have two older boys who've left school ages ago (she's not the youngest either - but my only girl). I think it's because I know how completely innocent and naive she really is. The kids at the school I teach in seem so much more street-wise. I also think it's because I can't take her myself because I have to be at my own school.
    I think we'll have some nice cuddles and big chats tonight and I'll take the Kalms[​IMG]

8. So, she's a week into her new school, so am I!
    Hope it went well for her. Mine will be in the same situ next year. My last little baby.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My stepdaughter started on Wednesday. Big transition from small prep school to big comprehensive.
    She bounced home after day 1 declaring it 'The best day of my life!' and is still full of enthusiasm. Mr Belle wasmore stressed than she was.....I'm not sure he can cope with his 'little girl' changing into a 'young lady' and growing in independence (he still views any/everyone as a potential pervert intent on snatching his baby.....sigh!)

10. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce medication (however innocuous) as a first line of assistance for scary new opportunities. I prefer the treat option. She will feel stronger and better about herself if she gets through it on her own resources.

11. How lovely! Glad she made the transition successfully.