1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My lovely day...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by splinters, Jan 12, 2016.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Lulu57

Cats have that effect I afraid.

18 years ago or so my husband and I got a black and white tuxedo boy named Oliver and we have been addicted ever since.

2. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Had a lovely day at my old school today, teaching Year 3. At one point, it was raining so hard in big, bouncing drops, one of the children pointed and shouted, "The rain's going UP!" It was as well! (And would you believe it - there were still 5 children who came to school without coats!:rolleyes:)

Lara mfl 05 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  3. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

@lulu57 - There's always one (or five). Mine were too busy watching peppa pig to care about rain :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Well my lovely day at my present school turned into a week and im still there almost 6 months later but Friday is my last day. They even offered me an additional 4 weeks as a technician which I would have loved to do, but today I was offered a great job as a furniture designer so this is likely to be my last week on supply and, if things work out, my last week as a teacher for the foreseeable future.

5. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Well done splinters - I remember your first post on here getting the long term supply work. No more teaching. The new job sounds good. A friend of mine was a science teacher who hurt his back at work. Started painting watercolours to give him something to do while he recovered. Never went back to school. Has been a successful artist for the last 25 years. Great to have a skill you can use.

ultimatedingbat and splinters like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Many,many congratulations splinters on your new job. If you have time, come back and post, as we will miss you.

The great thing is that whatever youndecide to do in the future, you can always do supply again if you want to. There will always be a need for good teachers.

7. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Furniture design - how exciting! I'm imagining you looking at 'pieces', whilst rubbing your chin and using words like 'aesthetics', 'ergonomics' and 'cultural values' and then going 'hmmmmmm....' very knowingly. I'm jealous!

splinters likes this.
  8. splinters

How did you know @lulu57? Alas its not quite as cosmopolitan as that but then again, few creative industries are as glamorous as they first appear.
    @pepper5, I think 10 weeks is long enough to see if me and the company are mutually compatible. If not, I got 10 weeks well paid industry experience at a time when supply teachers usually get nowt and I can return to teaching in September with everyone none the wiser but having more credibility in my subject area...and that's the worse case scenario!!

9. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

A bit of a win-win situation for you then - bonus!

splinters and pepper5 like this.
  10. splinters

Id like to think so. I am currently learning Solidworks in preparation for the job; something I have been planning to do for years so its already paying dividends before I even start.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  11. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

'Solidworks', eh? You'll be using phrases like "spatial precision', 'virtual contextualisation' and 'aesthetic cohesion' before you know it!
    (I'm making it all up as I go along, y'know! ;))

splinters likes this.
  12. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

That's great news splinters:)

splinters likes this.
  13. splinters

You might be making it up but you are pretty much spot on :)

14. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I can talk the talk - but I can't walk the walk!
    Typical me! :rolleyes:

15. gingerhobo48

I'm hoping to have a lovely day today as I have been booked for nursery:) It's at a school that is a little further away from where I normally travel to but one where I've always had good days, so here's hoping I have a sparkling day as our pepper5 would say:D hope everyone has a good day.

16. gingerhobo48

My day was lovely and made even lovelier by the addition of two fantastic class guinea pigs.The CT was off sick (since Wednesday) and the nursery nurse was too scared to handle the GP's to get them out of their cage and put them in the hutch in the garden:(.I came to the rescue, scooped them up and put them outside then cleaned out their very wet and pooey cage, gave them lovely fresh bedding and put them back. I now proper heart/love GP's and want some.They were sniffing the air and watching me clean out their digs and when I went to get them to put them in their nice,clean, fresh cage they kept running away from me the little rascals:D O'h and there might have been some children involved that I needed to teach somewhere along the way too:DThey were great, some really unusual names, we did some drama, some dancing, some singing, some writing, it was very enjoyable.

lulu57 likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Personally I think a school Leopard would be really good for behaviour management.

Forget a detention, try 10 minutes with a hungry Leopard.

lulu57 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  18. splinters

Lol, Guinea Pigs, i love them.
    Had a lovely last day with the performing arts team sending me off with a bottle of wine and a card and then the Head, who I have never seem before, came down to thanks me and gave me another bottle of mine. It was really quite emotional which you really dont expect after a 6 month placement. Only minor downside was the few classes who had completed all their work, were in own clothes on a rainy sports day afternoon and a bit restless.
    Nothing I couldnt handle and they weren't really bad but in some sort of idealistic 'Mr Chips' way I couldnt shake the concept that these last few hours might be my lasting memory of the end of a teaching career....in which case I went out with a whimper rather than a bang. What a great school to end my career in, if indeed I dont return to teaching. Sat with a glass of red after 23 years as a teacher, it still hasnt sunk in yet.

19. gingerhobo48

Yeah, we used to have them when I was a child , it made me feel strangely nostalgic.
    I bet it hasn't sunk in yet, but I'm sure you have new, exciting and different times ahead:).

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In South America they burn the carcasses of (dead) guinea pigs for energy.