1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My little boy is leaving home!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marlin, Sep 11, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My boy is the same age and he has just bought his first house with his long term partner - she is lovely too. They have been living away from home but with family members up until now. I was really surprised at how hard I found it when he moved into his new house - really felt that the strings had been cut - have to let him be a man now.
    It can be hard letting go [​IMG]

2. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO True!!

3. Dear me, I must be a hard-hearted cow: didn't miss them at all! Mind you I just have spent 10 days looking after my daughter's psycho rabbit and my son is about to drop a load of washing round because he can't get it done in his shared house.

4. HA! HA! Hope I feel like that soon! Probably when I return form France to an immaculate house!! BLISS!!!

5. marlin

Yes, there are positives to having an empty nest - but it also makes you appreciate the time with your grown-up children even more. We love having them to stay, but also enjoy the freedom once they've gone back home.
    It's learning not to interfere that is the challenge - good intentions and all that - but really I know that they have to be allowed to make their own decisions, just as I did at theIr age.

6. When the first one left home I sobbed; when the second went I cried; when the last one left we opened a bottle of fizzy. T
    They come and visit which is wonderful and then they leave. I love having grown up children!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And then there are the grandchildren - I have four now and I'm a very hands-on grandma and very busy.

8. myweedyallotment

myweedyallotment New commenter

I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you are happy to see him happy [​IMG]
    I seem to remember reacting very badly to a similar thread last year about someone's son going off to uni. I was bitter because I thought I was losing my son to drugs. I resented people whose children were going off to do new and exciting things. I spent alot of time apologising on here. Well, its a year on and I'm not that bitter person anymore.
    One year on...my son is still away from home...quite a long way...but I haven't lost him to drugs...and like you said - its great to see your children happy even if they are far away.

9. So is mine, but he is off to uni. I shall miss him like
    mad but I'm so pleased he has got himself sorted out.

10. My eldest is also off to uni in 2 weeks - but she's only going to be half an hour down the road (though in Halls), so she can come home for her birthday and any weekend she wants I guess. I feel more of a wrench about her boyfriend of 3 years, who is going NEXT weekend to somewhere much further away. Might not see him til Christmas! Can't believe it! DON'T LIKE IT!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Don't worry, with expensive rents and house prices, they might just return. Enjoy the peace whilst you can.

[​IMG]

12. Our 4 grown-up children have, at various times, left and returned, left and returned, due to their circumstances. We are (at the moment) by ourselves in the house, but we have thought about putting in a revolving door. Incidently, although <u>they</u> leave, they never seem to take all of their stuff with them...as a result we only have 2 usable bedrooms in a 4 bedroomed house.

13. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

That made me laugh, our eldest left for univeristy a year ago, has worked all summer but the attic is full of her stuff, as is her bedroom, so what dooes she actually have with her now, I wonder ????

14. marlin

I can relate to this too.
    Both boys have now officially left home - but both have rooms full of 'stuff'. Eldest is in the process of clearing, but youngest married and living in small furnished flat miles away in Edinburgh. He got married last year, so not only do we have all the accumulated 'stuff' acquired up to going to uni we are storing all the wedding paraphernalia too - wedding dress included! Have no idea how long we will have to keep all of this - but current estimate is at least another 4 years - he'll be 28 by then.
    We have a 3 bedroomed house and can't believe that with just the two of us we haven't got room to spread and feel so short of space. [​IMG]

15. Did anyone see Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslett in it?
    It kind of summed up my relationship with my eldest, although, I haven't lost my younger daughter ( she is a survivor of fate), and I also have a son.
    But the way the story came full circle, with the acceptance of the road taken, and ultimately the strengh of the original couple stuck a chord with me.
    I'm there, and I love my children, and I am now beautifully both free and not free of them to an extent I like, but moreover, Mr H and I are ourselves again too, which ain't bad at 47 and 51.
    We didn't bother with the divorce bit, just beat each other up regularly!!!