1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My job has disappeared?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lgybefw, Nov 12, 2019.

1. lgybefw

lgybefw New commenter

I’m not sure if anyone has had a similar experience but I am a bit confused by my current situation.

I’m currently on maternity leave and expected back for the summer term after taking a full year off. However, since being off there has been a lot of teachers leaving or falling pregnant. 2 teachers resigned in May, 2 teachers (including myself) are on maternity and 1teacher due to go on maternity in November.
    To cover these rolls 2full time teachers have been employed, 1 fixed year contract September to July,
    1 cover teacher as current pregnant lady in sick and 1 maternity cover till December when first pregnant teacher comes back.
    My question is... I don’t appear to have a job? I’ve been offered a job share with the lady coming back in December and cover or small group work until September full time. Is this legal?
    Hope this makes sense to someone?!
    Thanks

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Yes, I think so, you are being offered work, although the structure of the school has changed in your absence, and it is not the same work. This has happened to several people I know.

Don't think about it now, think about your lovely baby, Why are you wasting head space on this. Who knows what will be available in JUly anyway

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Given the huge state of flux, it seems reasonable. With three teachers on maternity leave, the head doesn't know how many of you will actually return, or go part-time on return. Offering a full year's contract probably gave them a better field, and means that class can have a consistent teacher for the year. There is the possibility that if you all return (and nobody else gets pregnant in the meantime, or leaves for other reasons) then they will be overstaffed in the summer term, but they've presumably decided the finances will cope with that if necessary. Don't worry about it for now - lots could happen by April.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Check with your union.

If you were full time before you started ML they must employ you full time when you return.

In very general terms if the workplace has been restructured while you are on ML the school must offer you a "suitable" alternative position. What counts as "suitable" is less clearly defined.

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Do you want to go back full time or part-time, that is teh question? They can't make you job share if you want your full-time post back.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There is no question that you will have a job at the end of your maternity leave, full-time if it was before, same proportion if you were part-time.
    It must be of equivalent pay and status - so you will still be employed as a teacher, and if you had a TLR you will still have one. It doesn't have to be based full-time in the same class, because that's something that's not guaranteed to any teacher.

They'll tell you nearer the time what the plan is. There's no point in telling you now that you're going into a particular class, because if someone else leaves at Easter, it's probably going to make more sense to put you into that class and leave the temporary teacher to see out the year with the class they've got.
    Sometimes people see being given intervention groups, PPA cover or team teaching as somehow lower status, but if it's just for the summer term, make the most of a slightly more relaxed term, and/or seize the initiative and offer to revamp a scheme of work, take charge of sports day, or take on something that needs developing within the school - that might also give something for performance management to be based on.