1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My interview teaching task was too 'teacher-led' - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by studentfairy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

Hello all,

I was rejected today for my first ever interview; it was for an NQT KS1 position. The task was to introduce a book or poem to a Year 2 class (30 mins) and inspire them to write in the second half with their teacher (another thirty minutes, which I wasn't there for).

I saw from the website that their topic was Frozen Planet, so I chose the story of the Snow Queen - I also linked it to the film 'Frozen' to catch their interests. I read part of the story to the children and focused on the scene where the Snow Queen arrives, asking the children to close their eyes and imagine they were there that night, in the snow, when Kai was taken. I told them we would be writing a 'Wanted' poster for the Queen, and we discussed how to use lots of adjectives and write creatively. I provided them with a wordbank as a resource which I felt really advanced their vocabulary. The children did seem to enjoy it, were interested, and when I left they were beginning to write very descriptively which I was very pleased with.

However, the feedback was that it was all too teacher-led, and I'm just wondering how I could avoid that, really. There was meant to be a part of the lesson where the children discussed with a partner potential sentences, but silly me completely forgot that bit! I did want the lesson to be more interactive, but wasn't sure how I could deliver all the information needed in 30 minutes for them to write something actually good and take something from the lesson.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining! Has anyone got any ideas of more child-led tasks for my next interview (if I get another)?

Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There does seem to be a drive against too much teacher-led teaching these days I'm afraid. Pity you didn't use your partner-talk activity.

I would say your lesson was good for a 'normal' lesson with a class you were teaching but perhaps for an interview you need to show how you can interact with the children more. So rather than providing them with a wordbank, get them to discuss with a partner some ideas and then make up a list together as a class?
    Also with the story I might have chosen children to 'act out' the story whilst I read it.

Disappointing and another time you might find they say, ;there wasn't enough direction'. It's the way of interviews. All schools and children are different with differing expectations.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

They had to say something. Don't take feedback too literally is my advice, different schools like different things.. As I've just typed for someone else - it's a lottery.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. studentfairy

Something else to add ... one of the two
    Yes, I'm kicking myself that I forgot about the partner activity. Thank you for the reassurance, and there's some good ideas there that I'll definitely try to use in my next interview. Thank you :)

Do you think I should stick to my preferred mainly teacher-led teaching style and just incorporate a couple more child-led tasks, or completely change my style to a child-led one for these interviews? :/

5. studentfairy

Okay, thank you :) Just lost a lot of confidence from this! They literally said "we could tell this was your first interview" in my feedback :(

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

If you were to get the post, I would expect you will need to continue to teach in the same way, so I would stick to your own style. More likely to give a 'best fit' for all of you. Some schools suit one's style ad others don't and would be difficult to work in long term therefore.

agathamorse and studentfairy like this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

We all have to start somewhere.

agathamorse and studentfairy like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

I interview candidates quite a bit. You can spot a first interview a mile off. Sadly, they are not relaxed and seem as if their life depended on it. They also do not answer the question but throw in a series of possible answers. They also come across as incredibly needy and it becomes hard to imagine how they would survive in schools.

So - do not give up. Keep applying. You will find the right sch for you. And, if yiu can, relax. People are looking at you and thinking: 'Could you fit in? Could we work with you? Would the students respond to you?' :)

9. studentfairy

Oh gosh, that's embarrassing. Isn't everyone nervous in interviews though? :( I can't imagine I'd ever get to a stage where I wasn't nervous!

Thank you, of course I will keep trying.:)

agathamorse likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

You miss the point. 'Showing' too many nerves coupled with dodgy answers doesn't help. The more interviews you do - the less the nerves will show hopefully. A little nerves is fine and to be expected though.

Good luck - and keep applying. Do not overthink it :)