1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We just go out for a meal at our favourite restaurant on birthdays.

Been looking at Summer holidays this morning - we are thinking about going to Finland

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No, I don't think Mr is planning a party.

I will probably just have a special meal at home and wait until we go to Spain to eat out.

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We have booked Madeira for the first week in July.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I have made some data entry mistakes at work and hope my boss isn't about to fire me.

I am finding it hard to focus on the work because it is so repetitive. After about 4 hours I have to really push myself to keep doing it.

5. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Although I have given up teaching, I still pop on here from time to time. I'm so sorry to hear how supply is drying up too. So difficult when people rely on it for an income. I truly hope the situation improves.

Pepper, I also hope your job offers more variety asap. Not nice to have a monotonous day.

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I'm afraid I'm being tested for cancer so it's not the easiest time right now, but what will be will be.

On top of this, my young dog was attacked today. I managed to pick her up to avoid further damage to her tiny body and she'll be ok thankfully. I was then bitten and scratched however as I stood in the way to stop this other dog from killing mine. And that is what would have happened otherwise. The dog wasn't on a lead. I love dogs but firmly believe they should be on a lead when out in public.

Very shaken by recent events but I live in hope for a better future.

Hope everyone is well and that supply picks up asap for you all.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Madeira is great - we have been there twice

YOU MUST DO THE PEAK TO PEAK WALK - IT'S AMAZING

pepper5 and Jesmond12 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Its from Pico Alto to another peak - lots of little companies organize the walk - it's really lovely.

Also you MUST go up the cable car from Funchal to the botanical gardens - will be fabulous in July.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Sorry to read your news, skye78, and hope that your tests prove negative for cancer.
    The incident with your dog must have been very upsetting for you. I hope you are both ok. Did you get the bite checked out? I agree that when out and about, owners should keep their dogs on leads, though appreciate that it is nice for them to be able to have a run about in certain environments, but even then, owners should know their dogs and whether they are safe to be loose around other dogs. (Or any creature, come to that).

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I really hope you’re ok @skye78 - do let us know. How awful for you and your dog- have you got an up to date tetanus vaccination?
    Reading your post was very humbling, especially as my biggest worry at the moment is will I get a morning call for a day’s supply that I don’t really need! I’ve said on other threads that I should give it up but don’t feel I want to shut the door completely on my teaching life, as I still enjoy it. Sending you hugs from me and paws and purrs from my ginger boys. Take care and post when you can.

10. BertieBassett2

Ah, @pepper5 sorry to hear this. I expect it will be regarded as simple human error. Hang in there! H, p and p.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We really did have a horrible day yesterday.

Two Year 11s were messing about near a stair case and one of them overbalanced. They both went down the stairs and one of them suffered a horrific leg injury that will take many months to heal.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

That sounds as though it could have been a lot worse @peakster. How awful for everyone.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Peakster, was it at breaktime and if so, was there not a teacher on stairs duty?

Skye, I hope that you and your dog are well, always remember that not all dogs are bad. I totally agree, that dogs should be on leads and when I take poppy out, I always have her on a lead and I have also been bitten by a dog off the lead trying to attack my old dog, because I naturally put my hand in the way and it fang went right through a finger.

Pepper, don't worry, you made a mistake, we all make mistakes and your boss as said in the past you are doing okay.

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have just told my agency that I am giving up supply as I went for an interview today and I got the job. The given start sedate was 18th February but they have asked me to start on the 3rd February.

I will be working in a call centre for a well known insurance company dealing with private health insurance so it sounds very interesting.

Therefore next week will be my last week if there is any work around. There was a terrific, calm atmosphere in the centre and they really look after staff.

We have been several times before but will certainly visit the Botanical Gardens but as Mrs J does not like heights it won’t be by cable car. Afternoon tea at Reads is definitely on the menu.

15. BertieBassett2

Ah, that's good news, Jezza - hope it suits!

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another one sorry to hear about that news @skye78. Too many people facing this these days.:(

Hope your boss understood pepper and that you enjoy your new job @jesmond.

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Remembering you in prayers sky78.

Will catch up on writing more on weekend but have read all news.

That was a horrible day, peakster.

Jesmond12 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  18. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Skye, how awful, I hope you get some good news with your results. It is at times like this that one realises that nothing is more important than our own health and that of our loved ones. Sorry to hear about the issues with the dogs, it must have been very frightening.

Jesmond, you have done well and I hope the job suits you. It seems more and more of us are turning our backs on supply.

Pepper, fingers crossed your boss was understanding.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The incident took place just before lunch in an area where there usually isn't anyone on duty.

In my opinion it was an accident waiting to happen. The boy who was injured will be in hospital for months.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Sounds dreadful Peakster.