1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Definitely should be a requirement in order to progress.
    I also think schools should publish data on how many periods DC are taught by supply teachers and cover supervisors.
    Should also be a requirement to get outstanding that cover work is provided in a timely way and tis more than just ' draw a poster'
    Also think schools should be required to get anonymous feedback from all supply teachers they use when they get Ofsted.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Pizzo

I agree that supply teachers should be able to give feedback to Ofsted. Some schools cannot even get the basics right. There is one school I stopped going to because of the terrible behaviour, but there was another reason: the school could not organise to give their supply teachers class lists or paper registers. Most of the time, I would have to go around and write the names down on paper. Of course you can imagine the problem with that. Despite this school is in special measures and they have had thousands if not millions given to it to help, the people who are in charge there cannot organise a basic requirement and the result is that the very best teachers which they need won't work there.

I felt like writing an anonymous letter to OFSTED.

3. PizzoCalabro

Yes getting the names down - several all called Jeff
    I look at the names on their books or planners.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

On Friday, during my 1/4 horrible day ( 3 lessons brilliant, but one horrible), I came across a quotation which I would like to share with everyone:

" Recipe for success: Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing." William A. Ward

I saw this on a laminated poster in the room I was working in and was inspired by reading it. It made my 1/4 horrible day not so grim.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Back fro work...I never have time during the day forms cup of tea, so now am sipping a cup of Brook Bond tea with milk and it is divine; I did not realise how delicious a cup of tea could be.

Today was not so horrible...it was an OK day...not brilliant, but not too much trouble.

Lesson 1 was a breeze...all well behaved year 10s and a pleasure to teach.

Lesson 2 a small year 9 class with some boistorious boys, but was able to manage.

Lesson 3...a great group of year 7s...sparkling behaviour.

Lesson 4....noisy group of year 8s...one difficult student I had to send out, but he was OK after that and worked outside the class for the last part of the lesson.

Nine days till the holiday...yay!

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Reporting to ofsted is not easy. They don't accept anonymous complaints. I tried to report a converter academy who were clearly overmarking coursework to a bizarre extreme. It was all entered as A or A* even though when I moderated the work the HOD agreed some work barely scraped a D, it was not changed. I am not sure if exam boards really do pick up on the obvious anomaly of very high c/w grades and moderate to poor exam results. This meant that the majority of students just made a C on aggregate. I know it is common practice but what will happen on the new, non coursework syllabus for MFL and English? The apparent miracle cure of academisation might at last be revealed.
    Even though I could provide Ofsted with evidence, they did not see the need to follow up on the complaint.
    As a supply teachers you see things that schools disguise for Ofsted. That's why most unions don't trust the process or the outcomes of inspection. It is a flawed system based on too few criteria.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi nearmiss

Thanks for letting me know about ofsted. I suppose they don't accept anonymous complaints since if people don't sign statements, then all sorts of things could be made up to make schools look bad.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am now home from another day; partly good and partly bad which is usually the way it goes.

First lesson: 29 year 8s, so a big group in a large computer suite. The lesson involved using the internet, but with so many online, the systems were slow, so we had to change tack. Pretty much the entire class behaved which was a miracle really bearing in mind the size of the group. Also, I had one student on report, but he was actually very well behaved. In the end I thought how sparkling they were, so a not so horrible start to the day.

Lesson 2, a year 8 group. Thankfully it was a small class, so a lot easier to manage. Some misbehaving boys but when I moved some of them around, they were o.k. at one point they started the old age banter regarding hurling insults about each other's mother, but when I challenged them, they said they were just fooling about. Some things never change. In the end, I was pleased with the work they produced, so not so horrible. Also took down several names for reward points.

Lesson 3....Imglanced over the lesson plan and I thought it wouldn't be too hard since I had taught the lesson before and it was one the students seemed to enjoy. My heart sank though when I saw the notes on the bottom: difficult class.

I must say it was about 10 difficult students and the rest were great. Those 10 gave me a run for my money. I managed to keep them from destroying the room and each other, but they were clearly not used to discipline and I wonder why their teacher was off today. My suspicion is that he/she simply could not face them. I am eternally grateful that I am unlikely to meet that class anytime soon and am sorry for their teacher. It is a shame since there were son wonderful students in the class.

Lesson 4...Well, me put it this way....if I never meet that bunch, it will be too soon. It was so weird I can't explain it. Something out of a movie. Poor teacher who has them every week.

9. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Just spotted this thread. Can't believe p5 - a voice of reason - is thinking about giving up teaching. What hope is there for anyone?

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Back from another day and although it was hard, it wasn't horrible. When I saw my first class, my hear sank as the students started to drift in: they looked like a mean bunch and probably were used to driving supply teachers away. Actually, in the end it turned out o.k. and some were quite pleasant and hard working despite one having a sling shot - that is a first for me. The student did put it away when I asked him, but now on reflection maybe I should have confiscated it. He was using it to catapult paper balls across the room but as I said, he did put it away and I didn't see it the rest of the lesson.

Is it just me, or would you find it strange to have a class where half are chewing gum and they think it is o.k. to pull out a sandwich or coke out of their bag to have a snack?
    the above group of year 11s couldn't seem to comprehend their exams are on their way SOON and need to get stuck in. Managed to get most on task after I said I was leaving a list of names of those who didn't do the work, so the regular teacher could arrange an afternoon catch up lesson.

Rest of the day, I worked with small groups and it was an O.K. day.

My last day is next Tuesday before the Christmas break, so I have four more days ...YAY!

11. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

''I will stack shelves in Poundland. Im tired of the rudeness, the mocking sneers, the total disregard for anyone other than themselves...'

I have that exact same feeling, Pepper. I'm so sorry you're feeling like the poor behaviour and rudeness has ground you down to the point when you must leave.

The utter lack of respect shown to supply teachers by some pupils for is soul crushing.

12. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Ps: 4 more days. Hooray!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Speak for yourself - I still have 7 days left.

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks for your kind words pleasemiss. It is not only the supply teachers who have to suffer the bad behaviour of some students, but the permanent teachers suffer too. In some schools it is not uncommon for students to saunter into lessons eating or pull out their sandwich and eat during a lesson. Some students think they are entitled tomdo whatever they want and in some schools it is plain to see who is in charge and it is not the teachers.

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Did not work today, but have tomorrow booked at my favourite school. I am hoping for a sparkling day.

Three more days for me ( realise others have more) and it would be nice to have a pleasant end to the term. We shall see....

16. PizzoCalabro

Have a great Friday!
    I am luckily at my favourite school tomorrow, doing Drama (not my subject but I like the freedom to improvise...) Booked for half day, but agency is paying me for full day as I was asked for by name and they are in some kind of battle with another agency, so I am not complaining.
    Drama can be tricky - on one occasion at that school some kids escaped and I did not notice until they were brought back by the Deputy Head - not my finest hour for not noticing their departure... Hoping not Y9 tomorrow, but Sod's law says...

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Pizzo

Thanks and trusting the same for you. I also was doing a half day, it now has turned into a full day.

Half a day of Drama...you will be fine. You could get them to do a nativity play.

Have a wonderful day.

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I'm back and I had a mixed day, but one class took the cake.

Year 11s and not so pleasant. One student said some of the worst ones made the regular teacher cry. I would never cry over that lot - I would call the head of the school in before I would cry over that miserable mass.

I am just thankful that I am not their regular teacher.... or unlikely to ever meet them again. It wasn't the whole class - there were a couple who were working hard and were pleasant; but the majority....no thanks! Mrs Pepper5 wasn't going to let them make her have a horrible day - no way!

Two more days ( for me anyway) and Christmas break. YAY!

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

[QUOTE="pepper5, post: 11520618, member: 910471" ] one having a sling shot - that is a first for me. The student did put it away when I asked him, but now on reflection maybe I should have confiscated it. [/QUOTE]

To be honest I would have done the same. He put it away when asked and your desired outcome was achieved without bother. If you had tried to confiscate the catapult it most most likely have lead to a confrontation and lots of unnecssary hassle.

You could have reported it maybe but if the lad was decent enough to do as you asked I think that might be a little unfair.

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Going back to yesterday.....at one point with the Year 11s I thought I was at Butlins instead of a school: they thought it o.k. to pull out a litre bottle of Dr Pepper and slurp from it intermittently while reading rap lyrics from an exercise book. Others could not be persuaded to put their mobiles away. I know it was the lesson before lunch on a Friday just before Christmas....but.....????