1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Oh Bonnie1...

That is good news that Eddie came back when called; but it must have been frightening for you and Mr B when Eddi ran across the road. Are you and Mr B o.k.?

Are you still taking Eddi to his classes?

bonnie1 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am not sure what I am going to do today. I am not in the mood to walk into town, so I ordered some makeup off the Wilkinson's site and will ask my husband to pick it up in the week when the traffic isn't so bad. We have a place we can park nearby to the town centre then walk in, but it is best not to go in on Saturdays leading up to the Christmas period. From now up until Christmas, the roads are going to be busy.

Recently, I have become a big fan of online shopping - especially sites where you don't have to spend much to get free delivery.

What is everyone else up to today?

peakster and bonnie1 like this.
  3. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I wasn't there my throat was hurting when I swallowed so I decided to give it a miss. Whenever anyone comes back from a run or walk with Eddi, it's not did you have a nice run/walk, it's how was Eddi, did he behave? I asked the question and was told calmly that well they did have a little adventure... The whole story unfolded and I went cold both because of him going over the road twice and the fact that Friday night could have been a nightmare trying to find the dog. We were both so pleased that he'd come back on command, I taught him well without realising it. (Got to take some credit.) I'm sure it would have been a different story if he'd been on the scent of something, but it's baby steps.

I wasn't too impressed with the trainer for £30 to be honest, so we haven't been back.

Great that you're getting work now, long may it continue!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was never an online shopper until recently and I now have a Paypal account.

We have just got back from our supermarket shop. One of the major roads into town has roadworks on today - can't imagine how bad it's going to be in about an hour.

5. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

See Bonnie as started to bond with you and especially Mr B, in that he responded when called back, I bet he was worried sick, it always take time with a rescue dog to bond with its new owners, sometimes due to bad experiences of being returned to the dogs home, and sadly you will never totally get the 'independence' out of them. But you are getting there, so smile you baby boy is coming of age.

I am hoping for some more work next week, I have had enough this week to cover my bills and I hope it picks up for everybody between now and Christmas.

Pepper it is a Christmas job, around 12 to 16 hours a week, I have not heard anything back yet, but it would be extra money to cover the expense of Christmas and schools being shut for effectively 3 weeks, and would be in addition income to any teaching work that I may get.

No game today as Wigan have 4 people on international duty, so they got the game postponed to January, so I think it is a quiet day and weekend for me. I was meant to go into Manchester for a few pints, but I decided I just cannot afford it with my attendance at the Airbourne concert on Tuesday, which is a pity.

copycat, bonnie1 and pepper5 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm going to see the mighty Accrington Stanley this afternoon.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We only live round the corner from Brunel. You could have called in for a cup of tea!

pepper5 likes this.
  8. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Well, Mr B just gave the come command that I've been teaching him. LOL, but there are signs that he is coming round a bit. I managed to make him stay for 6 steps on the walk before calling him for his treat.

Hope you get work sorted out leading up to Christmas.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Wish I'd known JR ! - she graduated this Summer so I don't go any more. I always found it very easy to navigate back from Brunel to the M25.

I'll miss the Parakeets on campus.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Peakster

Enjoy your football.

Bonnie1

I am so glad to hear Eddi is learning to obey some of your commands and also it sounds like Mr B is bonding with Eddi as well. Mr B did do well to remain calm when Eddi got off his lead.

The weather here is gorgeous, so I might go out later. I have cleaned the bathroom sink, so am making progress.

I am missing The Senior so much.

bonnie1 likes this.
  11. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Peakster, should be an interesting game, but I fancy our near neighbours Accy to win, does the Cambridge Utd still as the supporters bar, where you can get a pint and basic food? I am about to submit an application form for a temporary teaching post in Accrington, it is a 20 mile drive, I think the school is close to Accys ground as well.

Wicked, well done on the job

Jolly_Roger what is meant that by the quote, it is not a pro-EU thing is it?

Bonnie up to half term the work was steady, but since half term it as been below par and even the agencies have said it is a bit unusual, but they are hoping it will pick up next week (same old line), I have even notice that full time posts advertised have dropped considerably this year, perhaps it is a sign of the times we are living in. So some evening work for 5 to 6 weeks is a valuable source of income to top any work that I may get.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The food at Cambridge U is absolutely appalling - I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

But the hot chocolate is good at half time.

It will not be a high scoring thriller because Cambridge games never are.

My parents hail from Lancashire but I'm a Yorkie.

copycat and pepper5 like this.
  13. bounceback

bounceback New commenter

Yes, me too. I did a lot of supply in a primary, and while it was a biggish school, there were 2 deputies and 4 assistant heads. There was a very high turn-over of class teachers though. They seemed to be constantly observed and hassled and generally looked very miserable. I would go in from time to time and another teacher would have disappeared. This did lead to the assistant heads having to take classes sometimes. Quite amusing as they were clearly right out of their comfort zone!

14. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Mr B was much calmer than I would have been! At least if it ever happens with me I'll know what to do, will it work? We've been out clearing our bit of land that's adjacent to the house, trying to make it Eddi proof, He goes out on a tether when we're working and doesn't cry or anything so that's good.
    I feel for you pepper re The Senior, it's so hard when a much loved pet dies, it took me along time to come to terms with Bonnie dying, Nut job Eddi has made me think of her a bit less lately though I do ask Bonnie to sort his head out for us!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    pepper5 likes this.
  15. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

The lovely high school attended by my daughter, about which I will continue to rave on forums, has a tree on their tennis courts filled with parakeets. About 18 ish miles north of London. We live few miles further north and I've seen a few round here. Noisy but beautiful. RSPB want them gone!

copycat, peakster and pepper5 like this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi bonnie1

I am glad you and Mr B are making a play area for Eddi. It sounds as though, younare becoming a family unit now. I don't think Mr B would go to all that trouble unless he was fond of Eddi.

Go Eddi!

copycat likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A 0-0 draw but still entertaining.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

Bonnie, I hope Eddi continues to improve with little steps.
    Wicked4u2 well done on getting the job. I hope you enjoy it.
    Historygrump , good luck with your applications. I bet MCR would be extremely crowded today with the weather being good and the Xmas markets. My daughter went yesterday, a lot of people are complaining about the new security measures but she said it made her feel safer. Enjoy the concert on Tuesday.
    Pepper, I am sorry you are missing your boy so much but it is natural when you have loved him so much. You were considering a break somewhere before getting another cat? I think that sounds like a good idea. Glad the work is trickling in for you.
    I do my grocery shopping online but I love to go shopping. I usually go to the Trafford centre on a Saturday evening as it is open till 9 pm and usually a bit quieter. Not tonight though as I went earlier this week. I do most of my Xmas shopping online as it is too stressful when crowded.
    Today I have been catching up on chores and went to a coffee shop with my daughter for lunch and then we have cooked a meal together but different things for hubby and I , and daughter and boyfriend.
    My son had an induction today for his new job at a frozen food store and then he volunteered to do the first available shift tonight from 6 till midnight so I hope he likes it. Husband will pick him up as I will be having a few drinks!
    Ginger hobo I hope your son feels better soon. It is very worrying for you but it sounds as though you have a lovely relationship. Is he getting on ok with the ADs as they sometimes have unpleasant side effects at first? The counseling will help too.
    When my daughter was ill she stopped eating too , to the point where I was seriously concerned. At the time I spoke to her school and they arranged for her to go to a quiet room each morning where she could have some time to herself and try to eat something. It sounds as though your son has a good relationship with some of his teachers. Are they aware of his problems?
    I am still liking the school I am currently at. There are some challenging children but they are all so likeable and make me laugh so much.

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi copycat

I am glad you are enjoying your job.

Yes, we may try to get away after Christmas then perhaps get another cat. The house seems so empty.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I haven't been outside yet, but it looks very wintry and cold. The sky is clear, but there is a medical to strong wind blowing which will make it feel colder.

Since we are going to have a somewhat busy week, I have made super supply soup ( kale, carrot, onion, spices, lentils) to eat during the week. My husband said he would make the banana bread later and perhaps I will also get him to make the lowfat humus for my packed lunches. Then that leaves dinner to make. There is only two of us here, but we seem to be cooking all the time; I wonder how those big families of two teachers in the home, plus three or four kids manage to keep everyone fed and watered - it would be a mammoth task.

Later, if we have time, we are going to get the Christmas cards out of the loft and I am going to start on sorting those into ones for family and friends and ones to send to business clients. Last year after Christmas when I had been working quite regularly and so had money to hand, I picked up quite a few good quality cards from card factory. At the time I thought am I wasting my money? Now, though when I haven't been working, the stock is like money in the bank, and one thing I don't have to worry about is Christmas cards or wrapping paper since I have stocks of it.

It is a real blessing to be able to have money to buy things when they are on sale and put them away. It does save money when you are able to buy three for two on those items you know you will use.

I have been using this foundation which I am enjoying using because of the coverage but also the price. It is third of the price of some drugstore foundations but the coverage is as good as high end. The problem is that it comes in a squeezable tube - similar to a tube of tooth paste but the tube is shorter and wider. The dilemma is that once you start to come to the end of using it, it is difficult to get the last bit out, so I used a pair of scissors to cut the tube in half and when I looked inside, there was still plenty of product left - enough to use for several more days. I just put the two halves back together and the packaging isn't perfect now, but the product hasn't dried out.

After thinking about it, I do have a design solution to the packaging which I think might work. However, if they redesigned the packaging, the price might go up.

A friend of ours is redesigning a room in his house and gave us about £400 of book he didn't want anymore. If we had not taken them, he was going to throw them out - many new with a price tags of £10.00 +. Some of them we have kept since we can use them ( they are all business books), and the rest we gave to someone else. I can't get my head around people throwing out things that others may use - there is a use for everything. The charity shops would have had them.

What recent money saving tips do you have?

When you are a supply teacher on variable wages, it is good to know how to stretch your money.