1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's also bumper to bumper after about 4 pm until 6 pm.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@pepper5 The majority of the few calls I used to get were what, I've been told, are called 'Hail Mary' ones. When asked at about 8;20, "Can you get there by 8:45?" when the distance and time constraints would be challenging for a neutrino, I answered realistically and said, "No," which usually elicited a mumbled, harassed, "Ok. Forget it."

@peakster: it is the same where I live, in Uxbridge. Ealing is about 6 miles away but I can take 90 minutes to get there, at the wrong time of day. Rush hours seem to last much longer, these days. The evening one goes on until after 8pm.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes I know - my daughter attended Brunel University and I was quite often in that area.

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  4. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Lead commenter

Went to sons 6th form open evening last night and I must say I was impressed:) It was so different in tone and content then the one I attended (at same school) for my daughter 3 years back. We have a new head who is an ex pupil of the school and has worked there for a very long time as a teacher and he was good. I enjoyed listening to him.
    Son only managed a smile when we got to the computer sciences dept.Both of his teachers were there singing his praises. One of the programs son made in yr 9/10? is being used to teach yr 12:eek: They said he was a natural and had a real talent for it. He talks to the teachers so differently than daughter did. They were both respectful but with his IT teachers it was like they were peers, it was weird:confused:. At the moment he is considering computer science and geography, he likes geography:).

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. gingerhobo48

Managed to have a chat to son today as I took him for a fasting blood test. I'm concerned he may be developing issues around his weight. He maintains he is fat, he isn't by any means. He is eating a lot less than he used to. This is hard to police especially when I am working but luckily he is not hiding food/throwing it away. He tends to skip lunch and doesn't always finish his breakfast. When he does eat he seems to feel full more quickly. I know when he has his braces tightened eating is uncomfortable for a few days after so it could be in part that.
    I'm taking him to Forbidden Planet in London tomorrow as he likes Manga and he also likes those extortionately overpriced pop vinyl is it? bobble headed figures. I'm just looking forward to eating out somewhere different:D.

6. gingerhobo48

It's great to hear from you lulu:).

7. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

You want to try to use the M62 at peak times, especially on a Monday, you are crawling with speed signs above saying max speed 40 miles per hour and you are thinking that would be an aspiration. a normal 5 minute drive between junctions to take 15 to 20 minutes. Then there is a area on the clockwise section of M60 between Ashton and Stockport, which at peak times is virtually a car park, you are moving that slow.

A quiet week, a few low paid jobs just a enough to cover bills, schools seem to reluctant to use supply at the moment, having said that I know of academy which as 1 principle and between 8 and 9 assistant principles, so they must have money to pay for such a top heavy team (it is still is in 'need of improvement').

pepper5 likes this.
  8. gingerhobo48

Hi pepper, yes, he is being offered a counselling assessment at my local G.P's surgery. He goes next Thursday.

peakster and pepper5 like this.
  9. gingerhobo48

This makes me sick:mad: We have 6 assistant heads. Granted it's a large school but 6????
    17 staff left at end of summer term, cutbacks.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Riiiihgt!!! Update time.... :)

When I arrived there, I had to sign some health and safety papers after that I started that two hour trial period, the assistant manager walked me through the store, showed me around where everything is, then we went back store and we took some pallets with merchandise, we replenished some shelves, we have been talking constantly about the duties there, and that was about it. At the end I was told the manager would give positive feedback to the area manager and I must expect an email for the upcoming working days. They were quite interested why I decided to change careers, who is sensible enough knows you cannot have this as a full time job (it's been talked about here and everyone knows ) and everything I told them was nothing but the truth since I am at that age where I can't lie to anyone since I would be lying to myself and that cannot be acceptable. I must find something that makes me happy. And I was asked why I chose them, I answered, they are one of the most serious in this retail business, living proof being this long and thorough hiring process.....

PS: it's not hard at all, you can consider you can exercise, the manager told me he does not even go to the gym, LOL. The only thing I found daunting was the fact he kinda expected me to be fast and furious like an old employee , I even told him that, sir, you have just given me like 3 GB of data, I can't know it all in like ten minutes. He seemed quite sensible about it. There is a learning curve, I mean I hope they know that.... you can't do things overnight.

PPS: I had no idea how fast time flew.... :)

bonnie1, pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  11. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

I have just applied for some Christmas evening work in Argos, because it seems less busy then normal.

Wicked it sounds interesting and varied, do you have to go on the tills?

bonnie1, pepper5 and wicked4u2 like this.
  12. wicked4u2

Yes, you do but today I didn't.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Just back from a day's work. Just after I posted, I got another call from another agency to go to a school just around the corner, but when we left the traffic was bumper to bumper. I got there on time, but I always say I cannot guarantee any time of arrival on a late call.

I pretty much had a sparkling day apart from only badly behaved year 8 - the rest were fine and I had a free so a bonus.

Hope you get the Argos post historygrump. Is it a Christmas job?

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done wicked4u2..

I am sure you will be fine and enjoy it. Just one day at a time. You have done well to get hired there.

bonnie1, Lara mfl 05 and wicked4u2 like this.
  15. wicked4u2

Until I will have signed the actual contract, I cannot say I got it. LOL.
    But it is true, indeed!!! One day at a time.

Damn, shame on me, I misspelled "right" at the beginning of my post today...
    Apologies....
    My OCD is slapping me right now, LOL

@historygrump

Do you have to go on tills?

16. wicked4u2

I got the contract. YAY. All good!!!

17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a real blessing for you pepper. Money and a reasonable day.:D

bonnie1 and pepper5 like this.
  18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely Lara.

bonnie1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Congratulations wicked4u2. I knew they would snap you up. Just before Christmas, so an early present for you.

wicked4u2, bonnie1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Bad news and good news. Bad news, Mr B accidentally let go of Eddi when running with him, dog was fixated by some bloke and ran towards him across the road behind a car.:eek: Mr B went after him, Eddi lost interest and ran back across the road :eek:onto the river bank and started off in the direction that they'd been running. Realising that he couldn’t catch him Mr. B just stopped and called him. Eddi stopped, looked round and ran back to him! What's going on?

pepper5 likes this.