1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Eddi's all right, it's me he keeps injuring! I took my eye off the ball when he was just sniffing and he suddenly darted whilst my head was turned, nearly yanked my arm out of its socket. I had a terrible pain under my arm, shoulder, outer arm and like tingly pins and needles from the top of my arm to my fingers. It only lasted a couple of minutes, but I wonder how it will feel tomorrow.

Then on the afternoon walk he was just pulling and pulling on the scent of another dog I think, I kept stopping him to calm him down, you know, if you pull we're not moving, walk nicely and we'll go type of thing. I let him move and he sort of went from one side to the other and winded me right in my kidneys, both of them. Don't know how he did that, now I have a sore back. Oh the joys of a rescue dog. Wonder if historygrump wants to swap dogs!!!!:D

pepper5 and guinnesspuss like this.
  2. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

Well I'm in my second week at a local school. I'm working hard but I'm enjoying myself and the children are responsive and willing to learn. There are a couple of 'challenging' children - but I'm lucky there are only a couple! I know the staff there pretty well and they trust me to get on with the job. It's nice - and a relief to get a block of work.
    Also, I'm feeling well (touch wood!) which always helps!
    I hope everyone else is feeling OK.

3. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Bonnie in simple terms, you can bug-ger off, Poppy can be a pain at times and can pull at times, but she as found out that I can pull harder and she knows when I am annoyed with her behaviour by the tone of my voice or my body language, she now sleeps on my pillows at night and if I have been out for the day working she is bouncing with joy when I walk through the door.
    Bonnie do you use a choker lead, because sometimes dogs need to be reminded who is in charge, i have both that and a harness one. Also do you smack it is bum if it misbehaves and tell it off, as if it was a child, i.e finger wagging at them?

Well done Lulu, since half term I have been getting scraps. the agency says it will pick up, but I know of two schools who have or are about to recruit a new CS.

Wicked good luck in the new job, I must admit at times I would consider working in the local Aldi.

Pepper I recognise must sign up with a few new agencies and they keep emailing me, but in going through the paperwork, I must say my heart is not in it at the moment.

wicked4u2 and pepper5 like this.
  4. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Meh, it was worth a try! We have a head collar somewhere which we are going try. I can pull harder but Eddi is very strong and persistent, he's a terrier! I am very firm with him and researching how to deal with him.I can get him to do lots of things in the house and the yard, as soon as we're out, his prey drive takes over. The nature of the beast. As for the smack, he'd probably bite me, or get me when I'm asleep.:eek:

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done lulu57. It is great to be in a place you enjoy. Also, it is a plus you feel well since you were poorly some months ago. It is a blessing to be in good health. How is your friend and her family who had the sudden bereavement? I hope they are getting the support they need.

Historygrump, it is hard to motivate myself to register with new agencies, but I had to force myself out to widen the scope of getting work.

All the best wicked4u2 with your new venture.

gingerhobo48, bonnie1 and wicked4u2 like this.
  6. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

If the rota allows it, I'll do one or two days per week at the agency.... but no more than 2.

gingerhobo48, bonnie1 and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Wicked4u2

That is a cover idea, but don't work too hard. Try to have one day off.

bonnie1 and wicked4u2 like this.
  8. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Yes, one day must be for resting, only.

bonnie1 likes this.
  9. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

All sounds good.:)

pepper5 likes this.
  10. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Lead commenter

Son saw Dr today, prescribed anti-depressants:( Sad times for a 15 year old in these challenging times:(.

11. gingerhobo48

Working even part time throws up how hard it is to get that work life balance as a teacher with children. I feel like my children who are 15 and 18 and still need me, are slipping away from me because I HAVE to give so much of myself to this role.It's ridiculous what can we do? seriously? I am so conflicted?

Lara mfl 05, bonnie1 and pepper5 like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi gingerhobo48

Is your son getting counselling as well as the anti-depressants?

It is the nature of the role of teaching because the class sizes are so big and the needs so great. The Government expects teachers and head teachers to stretch themselves to make it all work. More resources need to be put into schools so there are more teachers and TAs to share the load.

You are torn because on one hand you want to spend more time with your children, but on the other hand, they all enjoy the treats and bills being paid that your wage provides. However, you shouldn't have to give so much of yourself to a part time post where it impacts your family and the quality of your life.

The Government claims it has to cut budgets, but then they continue to spend money useless projects and squander the money they do have. Brexit will cost millions if not billions, so I don't see any more money going into education for the foreseeable future.

Gingerhobo, don't work too hard. Do your job at school and try not to work at home on your days off; almost impossible to do, but see if you can try to find ways of cutting some of your working time at home.

Your son will get better. These are VERY challenging times and even if the adults are faltering it is hard to imagine what the children think.

XX

13. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Teaching is like that these days, on my first TP the teacher lived around the corner and gave me a lift to school. I asked when she planned what she was going to teach, she said 'on the way to school.' Her planning was a page of a small exercise book! This was a Reception class. She was an excellent teacher too.

It must be hard being a mum and seeing that your child/children are not happy, it must make you feel helpless at times. I'm sure your love for your son and your support well help him a lot. I hope everything starts working out for him soon.

Lara mfl 05, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

A lot of the extra planning and marking are a total waste of time and you could plan a day's work on a small page of paper out of an exercise book.

The teacher bonnie1 mentioned was an excellent teacher because she was probably a rested and happy teacher because she didn't spend hours marking and planning.

I just came back form registering with another agency and they were BUSY. So many looking for supply to escape full time and all the hassle.

15. gingerhobo48

Thanks pepper, bonnie:). I really am trying to think of ways to do less but at the moment I can't:(. All of the interventions I do need writing up, I need to spend time feeding back to the teachers. I need to do next steps to inform my future planning, I am still getting to know the children from the 4 classes I am working with, there are so many Zahra's, Sara's , Sarah's:confused: my mind is boggling:D.

I am employed , I have a job, for that I am thankful.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Gingerhobo48

It isn't too long until Christmas when you can have a break.

Xx

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Up waiting for the phone now. I need to go finish getting ready in case the phone rings, but wanted to come on and say trust everyone has a sparkling day.

The weather here looks cold but clear with no ice on the car.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just started to rain here.

My new tutee's cat is actually Grey and White and she (it is a she) is very friendly.

gingerhobo48, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi peakster

I am glad to hear your tutee's cat is friendly. Does she sit in on the lessons? The Senior loved to be involved with our work: he used to sit on the table where my husband works and just be with him to give him moral support. The Senior also helped me when I was studying for various courses as he would sit on the desk and papers and although he didn't say anything of course, he was there to help by his presence.

I didn't get any work today, but I have next Tuesday booked at a new school I have never worked at before and they said they may have more work for me, so at least that is one day - more than this week which has been 0. I did, however, take two days out to register with two new agencies.

Despite no work, my husband has work coming in and we have food and shelter, so we are blessed.

P.S.

Just got a call for a last minute assignment but the school was an hour away by car. At least he thought of me, which is very kind. The consultant was from one of the new agencies. Maybe I could get a private helicopter to get to these far away places.

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How do they expect you to get to these places ?.

My home town's traffic is now so bad that it is bumper to bumper after about 7.30 am these days.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.