1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Horrible Day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pepper5, Nov 24, 2015.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We went for a bike ride and walk to what has become our favourite place round here since this all started.

A very relaxing and peaceful morning.

pepper5, agathamorse and gingerhobo48 like this.
  2. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I am managing fine with the actual walking now I have found some warm up and stretching exercises to do.I wasn’t drinking enough water and became a bit sick but it was less than 24 hrs as I tend to get over things really quickly.Lesson learnt:oops:.Its just finding the time to actually get that amount of steps in.I like to go out but if I do x3 it doesn’t leave much time for other stuff but I will find a way:).

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. gingerhobo48

I’m glad it worked for you:).

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Thank you for asking. I have wobbled along a couple of miles once or twice. I have spoken to a very nice bike shop owner around 2.5 miles away. Once I am confident enough to go that far, maybe next week, he is going to look and tell me what spare inner tube and tyre spanners I need. Then I will try going a bit further. School is 7 miles, so I think I will still be walking until the end of term. Maybe not! But I hope I will be cycling for the times I go in over August, and definitely September.

gingerhobo48, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That is impressivevif you are walking 7 miles to work. Is that one way? At my current walking speed that would take me over two hours to walk 7 miles. That being said, if I didn't have a steep hill to climb, it wouldn't take so long.

gingerhobo48 and agathamorse like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The only way to improve your riding skills is to get more practice.

My wife and I cycled about 25 miles this last weekend.

7. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Good to hear of all the cycling and walking achievements of everyone.
    Pepper, you are doing extremely well, you should give yourself a pat on the back. Glad you were able to get back to church and see your friends.
    Daughter & I had a lovely local moorland walk on Saturday, the views were amazing.
    Have you managed to get out for a drink yet Historygrump?
    The highlight of my week will be getting my hair done on Thursday and then I may venture out to the pub.

I hope you are doing ok Smurphy6.

8. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Peakster, I have not riden a bike since I went over the farmers field walk when I was around 14 and then down a steep slope, some 40 years ago, it was a experience that I have resisted repeating ever since by not riding a bike. I must say that 25 miles is a good ride, was it uphill/downhill and on rough ground?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm getting my hair cut on Wednesday morning - it will be such a relief.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mostly flat with a couple of small hills.

My after tea bike ride has become a daily ritual.

11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks copycat.
    Hope you enjoy going to the hairdressers. I desperately need to go so I must try and make an appointment or buy a wig.

12. gingerhobo48

:D:D:D

pepper5 likes this.
  13. gingerhobo48

That’s good to hear:).Is there anywhere you could go to have a little practice like a park or supermarket car park when it’s quiet?

pepper5 likes this.
  14. gingerhobo48

I walked almost 50 miles last week which is a massive achievement for me.I’ve finally got to the stage where I’m actually enjoying it now and find I’m almost speed walking at times around the edge of the park:D.I wake up now and don’t think o’h no, I think when can I go out for a walk:D.I realise it’s a lot easier at the moment as I’m not actually working but I do think it will be something I will want to keep up as the energy I now have after a good walk is incredible.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just heard this morning that the roofing company are coming tomorrow to put a new flat roof on. It will be a huge relief if it doesn't leak anymore.

16. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Leaks are terrible aren't they? We had a bathroom fitted many years ago now, but unbeknownst to us, the crew doing the fitting didn't fit the joins in some if the pipework securely enough, so that water was leaking through until it eventually brought the hall ceiling down. What a mess that created. We had a bit of a fight on our hands but eventually were reimbursed for the cost of repairs and damage done. My eyes always look up to the ceiling now! Another occasion, when having a new kitchen, the fitters discovered that the dishwasher has been leaking which meant a delay as the floor had to be sorted as the water had penetrated underneath. Luckily, as all the units were coming out and the kitchen was being re-designed, the upheaval was not as bad as it otherwise would have been. But yes, water causes a lot of damage.

17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I haven't got a leaky story but i am very proud to report that I went into our local Co-op this afternoon! (First shop since Lockdown.) My daughter walked with me (she and the baby have been here today) and I managed the whole process on my own, whilst they waited outside. It worked well - one in, one out, signs on the floor to follow and not at all anxiety-inducing. I only bought some milk but I now feel confident enough for a revisit!

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done BertieBasset2.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wonder how long it will be before I want to go on a bus or a train again.

A long time I'm guessing.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a great start to 'the new normality' BertieB. :D