1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Head wants 4 points movement this year and 6 next year, is this a fair expectation?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Thatsmyloaf, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Thatsmyloaf

Thatsmyloaf New commenter

I'm a Year 3 NQT in a satisfactory north london school (Just finished up training at the IoE!) and I have been looking my heads targets for the year for my class this week. My head has given me a spreadsheet of levels taken from SATS in y2 which give me a range of levels from p8 to 3c (so already differentiation has to be strict here). he has also told me that the expectation for me is to raise my chn 4 ASP points this academic year (Which I belive is 2 levels so my 3c should get to 3a etc). He then added that next year the expectation is that all teachers will raise the children 6 points (a whole level if I'm correct). My Head said that good teaching will do this but given the depth of challenge and the loss of an afternoon TA this January has me depressed that I wont
    I have a rather difficult and large class of 34 (2 of whom can't write at all and 4 who are taught 1:1 for lit/num hence the 34) and I promise I'm not looking for a cop out here (The 75+hours and 4 intervention groups a week I work should show it) but I can't help but think his high level of expectation may be counter intuitive and too high for me to attain.
    Advice me up!

2. Thatsmyloaf

Thatsmyloaf New commenter

I'm a Year 3 NQT in a satisfactory north london school (Just finished up training at the IoE!) and I have been looking my heads targets for the year for my class this week. My head has given me a spreadsheet of levels taken from SATS in y2 which give me a range of levels from p8 to 3c (so already differentiation has to be strict here). he has also told me that the expectation for me is to raise my chn 4 ASP points this academic year (Which I belive is 2 levels so my 3c should get to 3a etc). He then added that next year the expectation is that all teachers will raise the children 6 points (a whole level if I'm correct). My Head said that good teaching will do this but given the depth of challenge and the loss of an afternoon TA this January has me depressed that I wont
    I have a rather difficult and large class of 34 (2 of whom can't write at all and 4 who are taught 1:1 for lit/num hence the 34) and I promise I'm not looking for a cop out here (The 75+hours and 4 intervention groups a week I work should show it) but I can't help but think his high level of expectation may be counter intuitive and too high for me to attain.
    Advice me up!

3. Given that the national curriculum is changing and the word on the street is that the people devising the new curriculum do not like levels - then such targets may not last long!
    James