1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My friend just lost her job in Myanmar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jun 6, 2020.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Her school told her they can’t use her next academic year. She had been repatriated and teaching online from the UK. She’s had just moved from TA to classroom teacher. It was an NA school. It’s very late to be looking for a job.

2. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I am sorry for your friend she's been treated very badly there. It's not too late to pick up a job in the UK though - there are adverts for September even if temporary, or she could go into supply. She could look overseas again when the new normal has emerged and coronavirus is not having such a big global impact.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

As I said in another thread, NA are not renewing contracts for existing staff and have withdrawn many job offers.

4. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

I had two NA interviews which went well, with one of them saying they would schedule a second interview ASAP, then radio silence... :/

5. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

A friend at NA in China has worked there for five years, but last week was told his contract was terminated. It's not just new staff, or non-renewals. He was mid contract.

6. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

Shocking behaviour. I hope the school pays some serious compensation. Pretty difficult getting a job at the moment.

7. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

To be fair I have had lot of agency supply work come through, I was meant to be going abroad but now this has fallen through there is still work coming through to be going on with from Sept

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I guess that this is everyones nightmare. Not surprised at the comapany behind these headlines though. NA came into the business with a low reputation and had to really up its game in order to attract and retain good staf but, now that their backs are against the wall, I am not suprised to see them reverting to type. There are a few school in Bangkok and its environs owned by this lot and, if I worked at one, I should be worried every time I opened my emails for the next few weeks.

Holiday......

Perce

9. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Yep, we're crossing fingers and hoping. Thankfully, one of us is a Maths teacher with an actual degree in Maths with honors. That's what keeps us hoping at least one of us will always will be able to get a job.

yasf likes this.
  10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

They are just doing what venture capitalists do - great when going well but at the first sign of trouble; cut to the bone, load up with debt - then sell!

11. moscowbore

School in Bratislava has fired 11 staff.
    I realise this is a single occurrence.

12. Mitochondria1

Which one? The Northern English one or the other one?

13. hellothisismyusername

hellothisismyusername New commenter

NA are just bad, really bad, Yangon one was good under the previous owners, BSF - they seemed to actually care about teachers and children and - well- learning and stuff

NA seem to be driving it to a race for the bottom

14. moscowbore

it is a school in northern anglian territory.

15. Mitochondria1

As I mentioned earlier, the two interviews I had with NA were a couple of months after I actually applied. One of the people interviewing me apologised for the delay, and mentioned that NA had frozen hiring across the board. I guess they, as a group are having problems...

16. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

That school has 3 jobs advertised this week

17. Mitochondria1

A bunch of Northern English jobs came online in China over on SA. All of them state that they are looking for teachers currently in China. Doesn't look good visa wise...or security wise at the moment.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

A week or so ago I started noticing posts on various links/websites where I have alerts set up (I used to work in China) for expat teachers in reasonably reputable schools in China who were already in the country with a legal visa, so not just the above mentioned organisation.

Granted these were not for the top schools there, but nonetheless were respectable upper mid range places.

19. kinks

kinks New commenter

Not quite true.... 1 staff of which 3 teachers

20. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

And that doesn't look good either for the northern England schools - they suddenly have a bunch of vacancies at a time when the economy is tanking, suggesting they have either fired a lot of staff or a lot of staff have quit unexpectedly.