1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My friend helped to save a drowning boy...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jen g, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

and is feeling really traumatized by the experience. I want to help her see thet she did exactly what she should have done in that she was about to start CPR but the swimming instructor got there just in time. The young boy seemed conscious by the time he was taken in the ambulance but she is giving herself a really hard time thinking she could have done more. She is a lovely person but just isn't seeing that she did all she could. Any advice or words of wisdom?

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

and is feeling really traumatized by the experience. I want to help her see thet she did exactly what she should have done in that she was about to start CPR but the swimming instructor got there just in time. The young boy seemed conscious by the time he was taken in the ambulance but she is giving herself a really hard time thinking she could have done more. She is a lovely person but just isn't seeing that she did all she could. Any advice or words of wisdom?

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Did the boy survive? Is he OK?

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I suppose it must have been a shock for her - very scary,
    All you can do is reassure her and give her time to come to terms with it.
    I hope the boy is ok - well done your friend!

5. WOOOOOOOOOO! Go your friend and show her this! When i was a small child I ran out in front of a car without looking and a man shoved me beyond it and dislocated his shoulder in the process. My parents gave him a present and wrote to the local paper etc but I actually, literally, might owe my life to him. He never wanted public recognition or a community reward (whatver they call it) but I hope he wakes up every morning thinking what a great guy he is. I do. I hope your friend does too.

6. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Thank you for your replies, the boy seemed in safe hands and was sitting up assisted when she left. I have sent her this link and hope she see's that she did exactly what she should have

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Our first aid trainer said thisis exactly how you feel after this sort of incident. Your friend deserves a huge pat on the back. It's very scary to have to deal with this sort of situation and the fact that she was prepared to do what's necessary is marvellous.

8. casper

casper New commenter

Giving CPR is tough. You just get on and do it , but afterwards, you feel awful. I had ot do this once on my way to work. An elderly Gentleman had collapsed. I did all of this, however he died in the ambulance. I was in quite a bad way. But I did my best. Hope your friend is ok.