1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My first overseas interview and over Skype

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, May 4, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Do I wait for them to call me?
    Will it be video or phone call (I'm presuming video as there are three people on the interview panel)
    Should the camera be positioned at eye level?
    Anything else I should know of?

2. Training_2_Teach

Do I wait for them to call me?
    Will it be video or phone call (I'm presuming video as there are three people on the interview panel)
    Should the camera be positioned at eye level?
    Anything else I should know of?

3. johnnersco

johnnersco New commenter

I have had some skype interviews. I would suggest that it will be a video call and that you should wait for them (make sure that you are ready). Will it be a formal interview? If so, dress accordingly. Try to make sure that there are no distractions in the room, it is important to remain focussed on the screen. Oh, and try not to fidget too much (I find this bit very difficult!)
    Hope this helps. Good luck

4. Training_2_Teach

Thanks Johnnersco.

What about the background? Will they be fussed about seeing my bedroom in the background? I'll have to ensure it's tidy! I hope the sound works and the video too. I'll have to test it with somebody tody

5. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

Make sure the light does not shine on the screen for sure, I had one and the video stopped working half way though and eventually we had to just have the voice only chat. Which part of the world is it? Wishing you well!

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Er, yes, obviously !?! Just have your Skype on and wait for the call at the alloted time. I presume they know your Skype name?
    If they wanted to do a tlephone call they wouldn't have told you Skype.
    Ensure your shoulders to top of head are clearly in view at all times.
    If you are in the UK it's a cheapskate school and should probably be avoided. Any decent school will travel to the UK and pay for a hotel / conference room.

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

"If you are in the UK it's a cheapskate school and should probably be avoided. Any decent school will travel to the UK and pay for a hotel / conference room."
    Not always - we went to the UK and also to Thailand for recruiting - some candidates we really wanted to interview were unavailable on the dates we were there and so therefore we needed to skype. We can't justify sending a senior teacher across the world at this time of the year for interviews.