1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My first Form group (yr7-11) are leaving - what can i do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ramaduds, May 25, 2012.

1. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Was wondering if anyone can help? I've been teaching 5 years and have had the same form group for all their secondary education. I'm really going to miss them! Any ideas what I can do that's nice, cool, funny etc...
    I want something they can take away and remember, I will have their company for about 30 minutes on their last day :p

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I too took on yr 7 as an NQT & said goodbye to them at the end of yr 11.
    I gave them all a copy of a class photo in a card with a little poem about the tutorial and a personal message.
    The next group which I took on as yr 7 I left when they were yr 10 at Christmas - I gave each one a christmas decoration (from the poundshop but really nice and I did see them at a higher price in another shop shortly after) and a Christmas card with a personal message for each student written.

3. blue117

blue117 New commenter

Start their last day with non-alcholic Buck's Fizz?
    Many years ago, we got hold of a badge maker (small momentoes that last well) and we got KS3 little 'uns to draw lucky black cats. We made each badge with a different colour paper/black cat, and the name of the form. Nowadays I'd try a mini-photo on each - mind, it'd be very small.

4. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I once took on a yr 10 class who had had a different tutor each year, and were slightly difficult. By the time I left them the easter before their GCSEs (an opportunity I could not miss) I got a load of blank cards and found a relevant quote for each one and wrote it in the card. Things like something by Eleanor Roosevelt for the girl who seemed to think that she had nothing going for her but her looks etc.
    It went down well, although I don't know if any of them kept them.
    B x

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Croissants and other bits for a final morning tutor group breakfast, during which I did a little presentation about the group with silly little pressies/ certificates, nothing pricey, but made them laugh :)