1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My first experience of a FE interview was a bad one!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I work in a school on a temp contract and am seeking a permanent role so when a permanent full time vacancy came up for a Sociology Lecturer at my local FE College I applied and was shortlisted for interview.
    I attended the interview last Wednesday, there were six interviewees and after a number of group activities they wittled in down to two of us to be interviewed and the other four were sent home.
    I left the interview on Wednesday with the promise that I would hear that day, or in exceptional circumstances by the Thursday but definitely no later. So it got to Monday and I had not heard so I phoned the college and was told they would phone me back.
    No phone call back but today I got an email from them to state that the other applicant had been offered the post on the Wednesday but wanted to think about it and finally accepted the role on Monday. They had kept me waiting in case he turned in down but after him accepting on Monday they had written me a letter telling me I was unsuccessful which has (I have been advised) been posted today!
    Now I may sound like I have sour grapes and I don't honestly because I had actually come to the decision that it wasn't for me anyway as I want to complete my NQT which I can't do there. But I have a huge issue with the fact that they allowed the other person from Wed to Mon to decide and left me waiting when they promised I would hear by Thur. To top it off they couldn't even give me the courtesy of a call but sent a letter on the Tuesday, nearly a week later instead!
    Sorry needed to vent!

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I work in a school on a temp contract and am seeking a permanent role so when a permanent full time vacancy came up for a Sociology Lecturer at my local FE College I applied and was shortlisted for interview.
    I attended the interview last Wednesday, there were six interviewees and after a number of group activities they wittled in down to two of us to be interviewed and the other four were sent home.
    I left the interview on Wednesday with the promise that I would hear that day, or in exceptional circumstances by the Thursday but definitely no later. So it got to Monday and I had not heard so I phoned the college and was told they would phone me back.
    No phone call back but today I got an email from them to state that the other applicant had been offered the post on the Wednesday but wanted to think about it and finally accepted the role on Monday. They had kept me waiting in case he turned in down but after him accepting on Monday they had written me a letter telling me I was unsuccessful which has (I have been advised) been posted today!
    Now I may sound like I have sour grapes and I don't honestly because I had actually come to the decision that it wasn't for me anyway as I want to complete my NQT which I can't do there. But I have a huge issue with the fact that they allowed the other person from Wed to Mon to decide and left me waiting when they promised I would hear by Thur. To top it off they couldn't even give me the courtesy of a call but sent a letter on the Tuesday, nearly a week later instead!
    Sorry needed to vent!

3. Sorry to hear about your horrid time. The waiting is probably the worst part too.

On the plus side can I say Congratulations on getting down to the final two! That is excellent on your part so well done! Xx