1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My fear of going back to a permanent teaching job

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by MissLMcIntyre, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MissLMcIntyre

MissLMcIntyre New commenter

I'm an NQT. Currently I am working as supply (in Wales). I am looking for permanent jobs in September but honestly I am terrified. In September I started a maternity cover role. I was told 'verbally' (I know I needed it in writing) that I would have a job until July 2019 but that didn't happen.

A lot of things didn't happen! I didn't get a mentor until November as the one I was meant to have (second in dept) was too busy- which was fair enough. So I was appointed an external NQT mentor he was brilliant but it was not his job to be at the school all the time.

The behaviour management in the school often criticised the teachers. To the point that a (I have to say she was very stressed) head of year asked the pupils in front of me what I had done wrong? Often when using 'on-call systems' SLT would tell you in front of your pupils that they do not agree that the pupils need taking out of lesson- undermining you in front of your pupils so I stopped calling them.

There was a student teacher and his mentor went on permanent sick yet they failed to find him a new mentor therefore, I stepped in and began mentoring him until someone decided he needed a new mentor.

I was criticised often for my books and feedback but when asked for help (especially with year 11s feedback) I was told 'Its OK we all don't know what we're doing' and received no more information.

In a meeting about year 11s progress I was asked why I was not doing certain things with my year 11 students that I had not been told or asked to do. They got frustrated that I asked them questions about the things they needed me to do.

I believe I was bought in as a cheap alternative to a teacher to cover maternity not as an NQT that they would have to invest time and share their knowledge and experience. I was made to feel like a bad teacher and in a report they wrote NQT not yet Good without consulting me. When asked about this they said 'we mean because you haven't been observed for your NQT grading we can't say you're good'. But I felt embarrassed and ashamed.

Due to the stress and not having guidance where I needed it I was working 7.30am to 6.30pm and it caused me to have a car accident because I was so stressed and tired.

I was told that most schools are like this with their NQT in terms of guidance. That they will observe you but the believe you are a teacher ready to go. I am terrified to return to work in a school permanently to get treated the same way. I had a month off between leaving that school and starting my supply work. In that time I went to the doctors for anxiety and I had my blood pressure tested. As I have PCOS I get it tested every 3 months. It was the first time ever I had high blood pressure. I am applying for jobs but I am not getting interviews- I don't know why. I wonder if self- consciously I am not giving the best letter I can in fear of the job.

Is there anyone that can give me advise or is there anyone that has experienced similar things? I feel like I am a failure of a teacher.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I also had a terrible start to my NQT year - I ending up leaving, and completed the induction in a fantastic school. So, despite what you were told, not all schools are like the one you describe!

How have you found supply? Have you found any schools you like? If I were you I'd use supply to get to know the schools, and talk to people to get info so you can make an informed decision when you do start to apply for permanent roles.

What are you saying in your applications? Did the last job end because the person you were covering returned?

You are not a failure - the school is the failure - there was no cohesion between staff, and no support for you. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed - you didn't do anything wrong.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. MissLMcIntyre

In terms of supply, I have been contracted on a long-term supply at a college and I love it. But part of that is because its a lot more relaxed than the school I was in. I have people here instantly available to offer help and guidance but I feel that part of that is because I'm not here as permantant staff so they don't want things to go wrong. However, my supply company has said that all the feedback they have received is positive.

I had the intention of sussing out schools on supply but having a long term placement from the first day has made that difficult.

I've used tips from all the forums and posts on here for writing my application. I left because the person I was covering returned. I have made sure that in the letter I am only positive of course and just explained that it was a maternity placement. I have tried to avoid explaining why it ending in the letter and just drawn from the experiences what I have learned and how that could benefit the places I'm applying for.

So, I'm not sure why I'm not getting interviews.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Getting interviews will depend on how competitive it is where you are. What subject do you teach? If you're at a college then you'll be doing lots of GCSE teaching I guess - that's good to put on the CV.

If you love your current college can you see if there's a permanent job there?

5. MissLMcIntyre

I am looking for jobs at the college and I have heard they do tend to offer roles to supply if they make a good impression. It's mainly A-level at the college but I taught at secondary. Year 7 all the way up to year 11. I teach Media at the college but the subject I trained to teach in was English.

However, good news I have an interview tomorrow at a secondary!