1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My fault or theirs?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm interested to know what other people think here.
    I bought a second-hand car recently, from a dealership, just under three years old. This week, it appeared to have a small leak.It appears to have been the windscreen water reservoir.
    I think that it must have had no anti-freeze of any sort in it. Thus, in the freezing weather, it's frozen, and thence cracked the bottle. I think that's a bit rum for a car sold by a dealership in January, but do folk think I've any chance of persuading the that it should be replaced at their cost?

2. tafkam

I'm interested to know what other people think here.
    I bought a second-hand car recently, from a dealership, just under three years old. This week, it appeared to have a small leak.It appears to have been the windscreen water reservoir.
    I think that it must have had no anti-freeze of any sort in it. Thus, in the freezing weather, it's frozen, and thence cracked the bottle. I think that's a bit rum for a car sold by a dealership in January, but do folk think I've any chance of persuading the that it should be replaced at their cost?

3. Did it come with any warranty?

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I think you have absolutly no chance whatsoever of persuading them that it should be replaced at their cost

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er . . .
    having read or seen the weather forecast, what steps did you to take to ensure that your house would be warm enough? That you wouldn't have your fingers drop off in the cold when you did playground duty? That your delicate Torbay Palm would survive the overnight frosts? That your pipes wouldn't freeze? That your car . . .
    'Nough said, tafkam, 'nough said! Take it on the chin: the responsibility was yours!
    (But I'm sorry to hear that you have this annoying issue).
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

6. You've not filled up your windscreen wash in a month? I feel I do mine every sodding week at this time of year...however, I've had my wash freeze solid (even with antifreeze - we get to minus ten regularly in winter) on numerous occasions and it has never, ever split the tank. Are you confident this is the reason for the leak occurring?

7. I don't know much about cars but surely it would have some kind of a warranty on it and they would fix it for you.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Why? It was a second hand car and the problem was caused by the owner not adding antifreeze to his washer bottle in freezing weather

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I only top mine up once a year!

10. tafkam

I probably top up maybe twice a year at most. They're reasonbly large these days, and I don't drive very fast.
    I agree that when *I* add windscreen solution, it's my responsibility to ensure that it's suitable for the season. Thus I buy the anti-freeze stuff whatever the time of year.
    Is it, then, unreasonable of my to presume that they would also do so? Or can they just say "whatever it had in it when we got it, we left in there"?
    It does have a warranty, and their 67-point check or whatever it is.
    Should I have emptied out the washer bottle when I knew cold weather was coming, just in case the previous owner hadn't put anti-freeze water in it?
    I'm genuinely unsure even of my own thoughts on this!

11. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I would probably ask them and see what they say... But be prepared for them to say it is your responsibility to ensure that the water etc maintained ( which it is). You never know.... They may replace it for you as a goodwill gesture.

12. What has speed to do with screen wash?

13. I don't understand.
    We get much colder here (minus ten sounds tropical to me) and I fill up on wash less often (not done it in...hmmm, can't remember when).
    However, tafkam, the responsibility lies with you. And I do not believe this has lead to the tank splitting.
    But I am not a mechanic.

14. I mean the responsibility for screen wash.
    I think that makes it a bit clearer.

15. Jeez, I'd forgotten everything in Germany was so much better, faster, colder...Anyway, I've made the speed connection and it probably is that I drive on regularly gritted a roads so there's a constant mist of salty, gritty muck around my car.

16. It isn't. You should stop getting your knickers in a twist so quickly.
    I had said I was confused, your answer could have been lots of things, including, for example:
    CQ, what exactly do you mean? Do you have some examples?
    But if you feel more comfortable with attacking, then be my guest.
    It doesn't really inspire me to have a conversation with you.

17. tafkam

Far. I don't drive very far. Must learn to type!

18. I don't drive far at all, and I a top up mine up all the time.
    I am particularly fond of cleaning my windscreen, I suppose, but I do like to be able to see through it.

19. I'm interested CQ, why do you think it would not be the reason for Tafkam's leak?

20. I'm not actually sure there is any screenwash in mine. I think for some reason my husband doesn't approve of screeen wash.
    Actually he tells me that I don't have anti-freeze in my water reservoir either. He says unless it is full to the brim, it shouldn't cause any real damage should it freeze as there is room for expansion.
    We only ever use cold water to thaw a frozen screen or the little nozzles.