1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My dog!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mancminx, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

....is a pest! Last week he chewed/scratched my doors to almost complete destruction! So, I bought him a cage to go in when we are out. Yesterday I was out for a couple of hours, when i got home, next door neighbours came round to complain about the dogs barking. He is caged in the kitchen which is at the rear of the house, next door is a postman who works nights so needs his sleep during the day so i do understand their concerns and.
    Any suggestions or advice please?

2. He obviously has separation anxiety, poor thing. We trained our dog out of it but he was young at the time. How old is your dog?

As for the cage, that'll probably send him loopy if he's not used to it/hasn't been going into it since puppy-hood. Maybe not such a good idea? Sorry you're stressed - I used to worry about that stuff really badly when we first got our dog (barking, neighbours, etc)

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

People generally rave about the benefits of dog crates but as CK said, they need to be introduced in puppyhood.
    Hope you get it sorted soon. Could be my imagination, but I'm pretty sure there was a very recent thread on here about a barking dog. Might be worth doing a search?

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We have two rescues who are crated every morning to protect them and my house! We've had them a year and a bit now, and the dog was terribly stressed and anxious when we left him at first - terrible whining and barking and howling. We bought him a DAP collar, and that really did seem to help. You can also get plug in diffusers, which might be helpful.
    He still doesn't like going in the crate very much, and does his piteous whining, but he's able to be left without barking.
    He did dig up some of the laminate floor in the hall last week but, touch wood, he's much better than he was!

5. Does he have stuff to do when you are out? When mine was younger and I had to leave him I wouldn't give him breakfast but leave him with a big chewy bone or a one of those Kong toys with squirty food inside it. It distracted him when we left and he ended up associating us leaving with a treat.

6. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Yes he has a chew toy to play with when we are out. I leave the radio on too. He has bent the wire on his cage so its obviously not to his liking [​IMG]
    Ive just done a search about the DAP collars so i might look into getting one of those. Ive also found articles about giving dogs Rescue Remedy! Anyone tried this approach?
    THANKS

7. I'd look at training before I started with drugs, to be honest. If you want to use the cage you need to teach him that its his safe little home and a good place to be. If he's only in it when you leave, it becomes associated with the anxiety and stress of you not being there. Also, if he is a puppy, chances are he will grow out of the chewing at some point.

8. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

How can I teach him that its a safe little home?
    He is about 14 months old.
    Thanks

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

There must be a wealth of info about this on the internet. Sorry mancmix, that sounds really unhelpful - I certainly don't mean to be!
    I remember that on the other thread, posters spoke about having a wee routine before going out so that the dog knew what was coming and was okay with it. Not sure if that makes sense. Don't know why I read the thread really as I'm a cat owner but it did strike me as very helpful!

10. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It is possible to introduce a crate at a later stage, but I think you need to do it more gradually than you have.
    I would first of all try to introduce it to him, while you are at home. Make it a comfy, secore place for him to be, with blankets, toys, a crate mattress on the floor, and possibly a blanket over the top.
    Introduce him to it, by luring him there with a few high value treats, and throw them inside for him to to go and get them. If he goes in, and has a sniff around, calmly praise him. Do not shut the door on him.
    Get him going in a few times, and let him come bck out if he wants to. Once he is going that reliably, I would be inclined to hide a few treats around it, and maybe a chew stick or a kong.
    He needs to learn that his crate is a pleasant place to be. Make sure he has access to a drink in there too.
    It is going to take time, particlarly as he has now had a bad experience with it - you will need to let him come in and out of it, and be spending time in there happily, before you even think about locking him in it.
    As for the separation anxiety, how long is he left for at a time? Is this a new thing?
    It certainly is possible to use something like rescue remedy or emergency essence, in tiny amounts, and it is does have a calming effect, but you do need to work on some training as well.
    There are ways to deal with the separation anxiety, but I am wondering if it has only been a problem this week, and if so, why?

11. There is loads of stuff about crate training on the internet - I've never done it myself, although I did think about it when my lab was going through a period (at about the same age as yours) of chewing everything in sight, including walls... http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html This is a fairly comprehensive guide. There's also lots of stuff about separation anxiety online http://www.rspca-westhatch.co.uk/SeparationAnxiety.htm including this from the RSPCA. I think you might need tow ork on the crate training first and then try leaving him alone in the crate while you are in a different room, then going out for short periods and so on.

12. It was me who started the thread about barking dogs before. What I was chiefly looking for was advice on those collars I have had recommended to me, because I wanted my boy to be able to enjoy all the fun and stimulation of his garden without feeling the need to bark.
    Turns out they are horrible, and also malfunction all the time so they activate at outside noise, and spray the dog because a plane has flown overhead or something!
    I'm so sad to read about your dog, mancminx - he's obviously trashing the house in the first place when you leave him because he's cross and sad to be left home alone. How long have you had him, and when did this start? - did you used to be able to leave him OK and now he's started smashing the place up when you do?
    When we leave our dog (same age as yours) we leave him with a Kong / chew toys / balls with treats hidden inside - and he never plays with them or chews them while we're gone. When we get home they are where we left them, and he then is able to relax and enjoy them once we are at home with him. Our main strategy is exhausting him before we go with a really long walk. We stopped crating him when he was perfectly house-trained because he never really liked it - never went in there unless we put him in no matter what we tried, I don't think he'd like being crated again now.
    Have you got a dog-walker who could take him for a big run soon after you go, I wonder?

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of our dogs has separation anxiety. As a result he had been being kept in a crate. It really distressed him and he was about to be sent back to the dogs home for the 5th time when we agreed to have him.
    Our first step was to adopt a buddy for him from another dog rescue. He is never actually left on his own because the two dogs are always together. We also arranged the house so the dogs are left in the garage while we are out. They have access to their own patio area at the side of the house. The garage has heating and they have an old sofa to lie on (currently on their 4th as they ate their way through the first 3 - friends know that we will take any sofas that they are throwing away.)
    He is a lurcher so he was a big dog to be in a crate. Perhaps it could have worked out if he had been introduced to it properly but I get the impression that never happened. He has been with us for 6 years now so it has all worked out for the best.

14. I use a system of baby gates to confine the hounds to a smallish area (plenty of room to wander about, have a drink etc) filled with dog beds and blankets during the day as they still cannot be trusted not to chew doors! Also, anti-chew spray on potential targets. They hate a closed door so baby gates are a good solution to this as they can still see what's going on without being shut in. They used to sleep in their crates when they were puppies but would go mental if confined to them now (n fact, I've just moved and the crates are in the garage for storage).

15. I do think if you are using crate it is VERY important to get the training right from the very beginning. My neighbour has crate trained his dogs and I can't get over how happy they are in their crates - they bound into them on command and often curl up sleeping in them without being told. They see their crate in the same way my dog sees his bed - a comfy place which is his alone to chill out and snooze in.

16. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I think you sare right Airy.
    My sister's pooch loves his crate, and he sleeps in there at night. But he doesn't have the door closed.
    Honey had a puppy pen when she was little, but then when she was big enough, she discovered how to jump over it, I was afraid of her getting hurt so we removed it.
    We used stairgates to limit her at first, but now we just let her have the run of the house, with the living room, bathroom and girls' bedroo doors closed.
    Older dogs can be crate trained, but it is much harder.