1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My doctor wants to sign me off

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ROSIEGIRL, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Listen to your doctor?
    Take some time to get really well and full of energy for your lovely new job?
    Contact your union for advice, just in case school get nasty. I don't see what they (school) could do, but you might feel better with a bit of support.
    Take care of yourself!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

They can't do anything if you are ill - and it'd only count as one instance of illness, which is not a big deal.

Listen to the doctor, get signed off, and then enjoy an extended break to get yourself well ready to start afresh in September.

3. Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I don't trust my union, they were very unhelpful when I contacted them in relation to the bullying. I'm in two minds about whether to carry on subscribing.
    School have just been so vindictive it has scared me. I'm scared to go in but scared to stay away.
    Lilachardy unfortunately this would be my fifth period of absence this year.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Would you consider changing unions?
    Teacher Support Network?

5. Thank you, I think I may have to change my union. I suppose some protection is needed but they couldn't or wouldn't help.
    I rang Teacher Support Network but I was a little unsure of what their training involved.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ok, so 5 in a year... that's ok.
    Even if it triggers one of the interventions - you're not going to be there!

Look after yourself, and have faith in the professionals. You go to your doctor for advice - it's a little strange to then ignore it.

7. It's not that I want to ignore it - believe me the feeling of relief at never walking into the place again would be immense - but it's tempered with a genuine fear about them starting disciplinary procedings (not necessarily relating to my illnesses either) - they do this, scrape the barrell for things to find about you, you see.
    I got threatened with a referral to the GTC earlier this year because of something so minor, it would never have even crossed the radar of anywhere else I have worked. Just for the record I have a flawless record - no previous warnings or anything like that.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's easier to say than do but, if you can stick it out for just five more weeks, then do - of only to give yourself the satifsfaction of not collapsing under pressure. You'll also walk into your new job with your head held higher.

Good luck.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

sorry: satisfaction

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

But on the other hand, if you're really feeling like sh1t, the school is to blameand you already have the new job, why bother? Why not get yourself fit and happy for September?

Fat lot of use I am. [​IMG]

11. Not at all inky, I am exactly the same and keep thinking yes, go in, no stay away. At the moment I'm taking it a week at a time. It's hard though as I am struggling a lot with some of the chatty lively classes. In addition to this one of the people who falsely accused me of various things has moved into the office next to my classroom; I'm scared about that too and him coming in and finding something 'wrong.' Pathetic isn't it!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Paranoia is many things but it's never pathetic. You can feel its little fingers creeping over your shoulder blades and blasting away at your self-confidence.

13. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This could have been me 3 years ago. In fact, the DHT, who is now a HT actually told me that nothing I could do would stop them getting rid of my, and that they were looking for ways to do it. Nice lady.
    I went to my GP who knew all about it, and he signed me off. He even wrote "stress caused by workplace bullying" on my sick note.
    I now know that the HT did try to get in the way of my new job (in the same LA) but that enough people know what a slimy *** he is that they ignored him. I started my new school in the September, and have since been promoted twice - so his tentacles are clearly not as long reaching or effective as he would like.
    If you really can't face going in, don't.

14. It is likely that your current school will contact your new one. Did you use them as a reference? Have they already given that over? I've experienced heads saying terrible things about me on the phone but refusing to put it in writing, but then I was still in trouble over that.

I think if they're going to do that then they're going to do it, whether you go off or not, so I'd go off and let yourself recover. You can pick up the pieces and argue your corner that you were very ill at a later date, that's if you ever need to.

15. Hi sorry to hear about your situation. I've had the same problem and was off for 3 months earlier this year. I was also worried about this but the head of HR was very good and told me the following:
    1. This type of condition is regarded as an illness so is covered by the equality act (i.e. you are protected by the law of the land).
    2. The school can't discipline you for the above because if you're ill due to this (well done to your Doc. Sounds like he or she is as savvy as mine), you could sue the pants off the school because they triggered it and therefore failed in its duty of care towards you (if you've been off ill on the other 5 occasions because of longer term depression etc, the school will be in even hotter water).
    3. The school won't get vindictive because you're leaving. There's nothing the school can do now. The only 'vindictive' thing the school can do is take all your duties away and tell everyone not to talk to you. Good! All the better because with all the pressure off, you'll feel better and have time to get yourself ready for your new job and as you say, the people there have been so horrible to you that you probably don't want to talk to them anyway.
    4. When you apply for jobs, you can't be asked about it unless you're either called to interview or offered a job.
    Advice: If you haven't already, go back to your doc and tell him or her what you said to us. Second, ask to speak to your regional officer if the union is being unhelpful. If you still get no joy, speak to another one. Third, consider speaking to from someone to HR or Occ Health. You may get more independent help there and they have to keep stuff like this confidential.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

my bold and italics
    What??? That would be bullying by anyone's standards.
    All the best with your new job,

17. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to get the person or people who are giving you aggro not to talk to you. I didn't mean get the whole school not to talk to you. In my case for example, I've not been given my classes back as it would have caused the students too much disruption and when my manager asked me if I'd spoken to them yet, I said no only to say hi to, he said it was best to keep it that way which I've done. I've also found that no-one speaks to me about my job and what's been happening unless I ask directly. I've just been doing paperwork since back. That's what I meant by the worst happening. I don't think this is bullying.

18. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

In situations of guilt about time off etc, I say to myself - what would I decide to do if I was told I only had a few weeks to live and things like job problems ,what employers think of my decisions etc,etc would then have little meaning. It puts the worry into perspective for me.
    I would take time off and recover. It will give you the opportunity to destress and get youself back for a bit before you start all over again.
    Be kind to yourself and give yourself a break.

19. Thank you. I think what I'm scared of isn't them disciplining me for time off ill but "discovering" some other misdemeanour. I know I am paranoid. Thank you for such lovely responses.

20. I don't think you're paranoid, for the record - it sounds like they are trying to be vindictive, however I would have thought being off is the safest option - you can't commit any 'misdemeanours'' if you aren't in the building! :)