1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My dear sweet not-so-innocent mum striles again...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. I was enjoying a nice afternoon cuppa with my dear sweet OAP mum. She had one of those iced fruit bun thingies with a glace cherry on the top (Belgian Bun?) and asked if I had a plate she could put it on.
    As she transfered her cake from paper bag to plate, the glace cherry slid to one side...."Carefull mum," I warned "You'll lose your cherry!" (Yes, I <u>know</u> I should engage brain before opening mouth!)
    "Oh I did that years ago dear," she said, "and I believe the more correct term these days is 'pop' not 'lose'!"
    And then without a pause she starts talking about her favourite German soap-operas.

I sometimes wonder how I turned out to be the sweet, innocent, normal person that I am!

2. I think she sounds great beth! She doesn't sound like a madly corrupting sort of mother...... you should have grown up with mine!

3. I think she sounds great too Beth, whereas mine wouldn't know what it meant at all - so how did I turn out to understand innuendo?

4. I have been scratching my head and wondering how to say "pop your cherry" in German.
    And then got onto musing about the fact that German has two different words for virgin, depending on whether you are male or female and English does not...

5. Yes, mum is terrific - and I wouldn't want to change her....but she's 85! I just thought she'd start getting 'old' by now!

I don't know the two terms you're thinking of....but if they're the two that comne to my mind...one is female (and would equate to 'maiden' but not so olf-fashioned)...and the other is more 'innocent' and could be used for male and female?

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've found that quite a few people start sloughing off their conventional skins in their eighties. After all, these people have lived through enormous social changes and adapted to them, so finally escaping from the strictures of their youth must be one of the pleasures remaining to them. My M-in-Law is amazing. You could tell her anything and she wouldn't really be shocked. There are things she'd disapprove of [true of most of us] but an acceptance of human nature and a sense of fun about things that were hush-hush in her youth - why not?
    Don't think of it as her not showing that she's getting old. Enjoy her liberation!

7. Jungfrau and J&uuml;ngling.
    Although nowadays Jungfrau is more often used by youngsters for both sexes.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Reminds me somewhat of my 70s teens, when we'd had the telly on too long and my Mum would storm into the room announcing "OK, let's have it off!", then wondered why me and sis were biting the chair cushions in a desperate attempt not to burst with laughing.

9. my grandmother once was given a gift of a stationary set which someone had bought in france
    she proudly showed my mum her 'french letter set'
    have you ever watched your mum turn purple with surpressed laughter?

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My Mum used to "accidently on purpose" make that kind of comment. She had excellent dead-pan skills. It was very entertaining when she taught me at secondary. The rest of the class used to snigger and assume it was accidental when I knew full well that she'd done it on purpose.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My dad used to do that; he would go on about 'those hooligans with their Dr Whites on their feet'!

12. i promise you - my granma said it in all welsh chapel-bred innocence!

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A friend of mine had been leafleting during the run up to a General Election. When she finished the council estate she said she went 'all round the private parts'.
    (snigger)

14. My parents were completely prudish all the time I was growing up...... my mum used to cut the underwear pages out of the clothing catalogues before we were allowed to look at them! Now that they're in their 80's the are becoming a little more disinhibited. On a trip to Hong Kong they found nicely wrapped condoms and some sweets on their pillows...my dad told me that he said to my mum "Don't eat the sweets, Kathleen....... they might be yon aphrodisiacs" ..................Recently he went to the doctors and was given some medication, which the doctor said could make him impotent. His reply was "You're about a year too late to worry about that doctor!" The funny thing is that my parents say that they only tell me these things....... they think my five OLDER siblings would be shocked!

15. My late grandmother was telling me the story of how my grandfather's mother had died when he was only 6 months, after having a haemorrhage following a miscarriage. I expressed my shock and sadness that he was only 6 months, and wondered at how quickly his poor mother must have become pregnant again.
    She very matter of factly stated, "Well they didn't have TV or anything like that in those days to entertain them..." Bless her, she was well into her 90's by this time, lol!

16. My mum probably wouldn't have understood, we frequently have to explain jokes to her ;)