1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My daughter's school is considering becoming an Academy...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by laticsbird, Dec 9, 2011.

1. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

...we (as parents) have been invited in to an evening of discussion at the school.

Can anyone suggest any 'cheeky' innocently worded questions for me to ask as I'm feeling a tad mischievous and would love to see the Head squirm a little bit.

He is rather a smug little man.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

...we (as parents) have been invited in to an evening of discussion at the school.

Can anyone suggest any 'cheeky' innocently worded questions for me to ask as I'm feeling a tad mischievous and would love to see the Head squirm a little bit.

He is rather a smug little man.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Where to begin...
    They will almost certainly attempt to justify it in terms of 'freedom from the LA', whereas in truth almost everything we get told is a 'freedom' already exists for LA schools. The only rea lones are
    * freedom to pay teachers what you like and not on national pay and conditions if you don't want to
    * freedom to ditch bits of the National Curriculum if you feel like it.
    So - when they rave on about 'freedom', try drilling the head down about it. Keep saying 'Isn't that already true, without becoming an academy?' if he tried to do the 'LA shackles' argument.
    Ask if it isn't just an excuse to make teachers work longer and harder for less money. He'll claim it isn't and try to pretend they might even pay more - ask what budget headings they'd take that money from if he claims this.
    If he talks about national curriculum, ask which bits he feels your child isn't entitled to or doesn't 'need', which it was felt your child was entitled to/needed previously.
    Ask if it isn't just a means of the governing body becoming less accountable, espcially as the rules regarding the numbers of parents required on the governing body do not apply to academies.
    Ask if it isn't simply an excuse for a pay rise for the head...

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ask how much his slary will increase to.

Ask him what will happen to the parent Governors as they won't be wanted on the new GB

Ask him how many of the teaching staff support this move.

get onto the Anti Academies alliance. They supported one of my colleagues who rallied the parents against the Academisation of her child's school and won!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

6. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Heh, heh...thanks for your replies - they're great suggestions!
    I particularly like the one about how many members of staff support the move!
    And, the one about which parts of the curriculum they now think my daughter doesn't need.
    Actually, I'm rather p****d off about this. She's only just started the school (Year 7) and there was no mention of this, not even a whiff, when we attended visits to the school.

Keep 'em coming guys....I intend to be a right royal pain in the a**e!! [​IMG]

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Will qualified teachers be leading my children's lessons if their regular teachers are absent? Give reasons for your answer."

Nothing contentious you understand ;-)

8. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Is it not a requirement of the Academies Act 2010, that there is a minimum of 2 parent governors?

9. Will you be changing teachers pay and conditions in any way, if so in what ways and why?

After the initial income of cash how will you cope with the drop in funding (end of Year 2) when it comes to maintaining kitchens, buildings etc and the impact of the drop in sixth form funding in 2014? Will this have knock on impact to staffing and provision? (obvs drop the sixth form bit if there is no sixth form!)

These are from important....from bitter experience... :)