1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My daughter is being taught by a TA !

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supplybychoice, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Beamie we told you not to talk where them educated folks talk

you spell pleasant with an L numbskul ;)

2. beameup

beameup New commenter

*sob,sob* You mean, *sob* i am too a pleasant peasant?

3. beameup

beameup New commenter

Sorry just popped back. I didn't leave the TA collective brain cell here did I? Only one of us will need it for Monday.

4. Too late Beamie! Here's one TA who will now have TWO brain cells on Monday lol

5. beamie come back

6. you forgot to wash the paint pots

7. Did I hear those magic words dq? Big Day Out? Are they starting up again? I do hope so! Mind you, could we not forget the reins for beamie this time, having to extricate her from that park-keeper's nose-hair clippers last time was just soooo embarassing.

8. Oops, sorry, forgot where I was for a minute and was inappropriate and unacceptable for quite 3 seconds.

9. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

the HTLA has taught my daughter every day on her own for 2 weeks now and from what my daughter says it will be for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't mind a HTLA teaching her for the odd lesson here and there but every lesson is way too much.

I have informed other parents and they will also contact the school about this.

10. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

*Hangs head and mumbles*

Hello, I'm Admin Princess and my son is taught in a 'more able' maths group by a TA every week. I think she is great at the job.

*Slinks away to self-flagellate*

11. Just my point, adminp. If it was me, I think I would take a good look at how the learning was going before I took a stance. After all, the important thing is the child and her education. It may well be that learning is progressing more under the TA than previously under the teacher, so what's the point, in that case, of rocking the boat?

If, however, it was discovered that learning had slowed under the TA, then, obviously, I would use that as evidence to support my opinion and fight for change.

12. vod

vod

The point is teachers teach, they have studied to do so, TAs assist, if they want to teach they should get a degree like teachers.

13. vod has hit the nail on the head. Children should be taught by qualified teachers, who have the intellect and training to teach a whole class, whther they are permanent or supply. Supply teachers are more than able to teach from plans left for them because they are TRAINED. They also have to meet very high standards, first of all to qualify, and then continually throughout their career - or they are put through competency procedures.

The logical conclusion to the arguments put my the TAs contributing to this thread is that a school could be entirely staffed by TAs with a couple of GCSEs each teaching from NNS unit plans, Hamilton Truat plans and QCA documents.

And even if they have degrees, that's not enough as anyone who has been through a PGCE or GTP will know. You have to be trained and prove that you can meet the standards.

My school covers PPA by using an HTLA to teach the non core or foundation parts of the curriculum - PSHE, RE, handwriting. That seems about right.

14. So she's getting 1:1 support? That suggests (forgive me if I'm wrong) that she needs additional support that she wouldn't be getting in a whole class situation.

15. But Ivy, is a HLTA. qualified to teach?

I'm sure a TA. said that it was a status and not a teaching qualification?

Is a HLTA. on par with a teacher then in terms of skills and training and qualification(s) - all three essential to teaching?

16. 'the HTLA has taught my daughter every day on her own for 2 weeks now'
    I read that as meaning the daughter was having 1:1 support. Perhaps it's me reading it wrong?

17. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

The OP has still not answered the question: is your daughter being taught in a group, 1-1, or as a class?

18. I read it as "in a class" and the "on her own" refers to the TA.

I have noticed, creeping in once again, that there is an element of "if TAs want to teach, they should train". As you all know quite well that the whole HLTA, PPA time, Cover Supervisor thing did not come from TAs. It came from Government and schools are being forced to capitulate (only know of one Secondary round here who is holding out and, no doubt, they will be forced to use unqualified teaching staff in the near future). TAs are put in the position of "put up or shut up" and, because of very low pay and poor conditions, are being forced to comply or leave education altogether.

The whole thing has gone too far now to stop, it would seem to me - the time to act was a couple of years ago when it was first mooted. The way forward now? No idea. I suppose that if success lessens over the next couple of years the powers that be may backtrack but will no doubt stick to their guns until that happens (of course, it may not!)

19. When I worked in Y6, I 'taught' maths to three children in the lower ability group. We worked according to the teachers plan. They learned more with me than they did with the teacher as he did not have the time to give them the 1-2-1 help they needed. He was VERY impressed at the progress that we made and they even had the confidence to sit their SATs.

As long as the teacher is giving the TA support and checking on the childrens progress at the end of the lesson, I see no problem.

20. Have been in primary for 6 years and have always 'taught' the lower ability children, whether we are talking literacy or numeracy. Seems to be norm for the TA/LSA etc to be given these children with a lesson plan to follow.

If a child needs the additional support, and the teacher does not have the time, I cannot see what the problem is.

Surely, if the OP is a teacher then she must have been aware this was happening in schools. As previously suggested a chat with the teacher and HT should the first port of call. If it is just a money saving exercise and a QT should be taking her childs lesson then by all means complain... TO THE HEAD.