1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

my daughter has 8+ exam in another school. How do I ask time off to take her there?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by computer2000, Nov 9, 2015.

  1. computer2000

    computer2000 New commenter

    my daughter has 8+ exam in another school. How do I ask time off to take her there - unpaid morning? family circumstances? personal circumstances? Thank you
  2. snowyhead

    snowyhead Lead commenter

    What is 8+ exam?
    phlogiston and midnight_angel like this.
  3. Morninglover

    Morninglover Star commenter

    Could a partner (or grandparent) take your daughter? Assuming they aren't teachers they might be able to take a day/half-day of holiday leave?

    If not, you'll have to ask your HT. They'll decide what category it falls under, but I'd guess unpaid. Of course they could say no.... So maybe have Plan B just in case...
  4. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    You ask if you might have permission to be absent in order to take your daughter to sit an examination for entry to another school (I assume this is what it is - independent school?). You don't try to dress it up as something else.

    The head will either allow it with pay, allow it without pay or refuse - in which case (as above) you'll need plan B (your partner? Grandparent?).
    Dragonlady30 and phlogiston like this.
  5. School Boy Error

    School Boy Error Occasional commenter

    Try to rearrange your PPA for that morning so when you speak to the head you're giving them a solution rather than a problem...
    phlogiston and Middlemarch like this.

Share This Page