1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hello
    From next week my school will be moving into a new building (fingers crossed its ready)
    I will have to create all my displays and areas from scratch (never taught Y3 before and never started my own classroom from scratch)
    Any advice for what I can put in my classroom, I want a post office role play area, our topic for the term is 'Location, Location'.
    Science is teeth and eating
    and starting Literacy with 'Stories with Familiar Settings'
    (Numeracy istaught by the other Y3 teacher)
    any advice would be appreciated

Miss H

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

If your topic is location, location why not make the role play area into an estate agents? You could have various maps there, property for sale details etc.
    If you do decide to go down the post office route, there are lots of post office roleplay ideas/resources on here. One thing I did last year for mine was get a free banner from vistaprint (you just pay for postage). I put the post office logo on and then the name of the school - it looked great. I also got some free postcards printed through them and made a post box from a painted box - lots of great writing opportunities.

3. I have just moved back into Year 3 after 3 years. This is what I have done in my classroom over the Summer:
    * Placed all of the tables and chairs for the children;
    * Sorted the cupboard, trays and sink area so that I know where everything is and can get to it whenever I need it.
    * Sorted out the boxes the children will keep their stationery on in the middle of the table;
    * Stocked the resource trolley;
    * Labelled all exercise books the children will be using, along with making up some files for things that won't go into books (art etc);
    * Made a reading area;
    * Made a practical area that will have life skills (tying shoe laces etc) on it for the children to learn, although I don't know what these life skills will be yet, as I don't know the children.
    * Made sure the TA working with me has some storage;
    * Cleaned all the mini whiteboards, the big whiteboard and the interactive whiteboard;
    * Laminated a few things, like the VCOP mat I will put on the children's tables later on;
    * Backed display boards ready for the work to go up.

In the first week or so, I intend to do some work with the children for each subject and put that on the walls. Our first Literacy unit is poetry, so that will make a nice display. However, I am going to start by doing some discrete lessons on punctuation and word classes, so I will make a display from that to start with, which may end up staying up for a while.
    When I was in Y3 before, one display I did was to have a world map on the wall, with individual photos of the children all around it in aeroplanes (so it looked like they were the pilot) with a piece of string going from their aeroplane to a country abroad they had visited. Then, the children took it in turns to tell us about the country they had visited and bring in a souvenir if they had one. You could perhaps do something similar as it would be linked to your topic and you may be able to cover it in more detail.
    If you are having a post office, why don't you have a post box where children can post the names of the countries they would like to learn about and each week you could pull one out at random and have a series of lessons around it? If you don't like doing it at random, you could fix it to suit your planning - as long as you choose one of their suggestions.
    For Teeth and Eating, I find it best to put a model of teeth (you can get the large ones with the spring like opening and the toothbrush to go with them) on a table with some books and other bits and pieces you may be able to find and let them have time to investigate it. Perhaps you could make up some question cards, like "Can you find your molar teeth?" or something. You could also have a balanced diet plate displayed and laminated, then either ask the children to or bring in photos of food from each group and they could use it as a sorting activity. You could link this to teeth by asking them to predict and then investigate which foods damage our teeth the most.

Hope some of these help!
    GRQ.