1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My child loves history/ help with resources

Discussion in 'History' started by jazz2, Apr 10, 2011.

1. What about looking into local history? How broad is up to you - your nearest city, or the whole county - or further. Something like that could be any time period, though some will have more resources than others, but I'd steer clear of anything she's likely to cover at school, as far as possible, because the overlap has a risk of boredom if she's done it all before.
    Visits you can do at weekends would also be good - doesn't have to be any of the major sight-seeing attractions, just anything of interest you can reach easily.

2. Thank You Jazz 2, what a good idea. I had planned to take her to museums this year but after your post I am thinking more holistically. We live in the North West and have the Mills on our doorstep and lots of local heritage. There are also lots of canals and small enterprises with some good resources so will check these out too.
    I'm not sure what age you teach but last year I accompanied some history students to the Liverpool Slave walk. It was something different and the kids enjoyed it, but they were A level. It's not my subject but went to make numbers up.
    Thank you again.

3. Gilly if you live in the North West, you could take your little girl to Quarry Bank Mill. It is a fantastic day out, especially the apprentice house, where you can see where the child apprentices who worked in the mill lived. She where they slept and what they ate. You can look all around the house. The mill itself is also interesting, with activities for the children. Make sure you stay and watch the demo of the domestic system and the development of the machinery, which is at the start.[​IMG]
    Minnie

4. Glad it was useful [​IMG]
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Slave walk - it sounds interesting. I don't currently teach History in school, but I've been involved with local history projects and they always seem to appeal to the children.