1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My cat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rach7, Oct 11, 2019 at 10:36 PM.

1. rach7

rach7 New commenter

I know that in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important really but by 20 year old cat died in my arms tonight, and that’s a bit rubbish.

2. rach7

rach7 New commenter

And my comma is incorrectly used but I felt it needed a pause there...

Lalad likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aw, I'm so sorry! You must be very upset. Your cat was part of the family.
    So sad.

Lalad, rach7 and minnie me like this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Been there several times.
    My sincere condolences.

Marshall, rach7 and minnie me like this.
  5. JaneBennet

JaneBennet New commenter

Just browsing and saw this, and wanted to reply. I’m so sorry. As a cat lover who’s said goodbye to a few precious feline family members in a range of contexts, my heart goes out to you. It’s platitudinous at this point, but over time hopefully it’ll mean something that they left you at such a fab old age and in your loving arms. Look after yourself now like you looked after them. Xxx

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My beloved Daphne {see avatar} passed away in late May at 18. I still miss her. It hurts like hell, but it does get better. They died in our arms and we got to say goodbye. Biggest hugs.

ps. It does matter and your grief is allowed. RIP kitty....

Marshall, rach7 and minnie me like this.
  7. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

Ah @rach7 that's so sad..but how lovely that you had your cat for 20 years xx

Marshall, rach7 and sparklepig2002 like this.
  8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Pets are part of the family. It is so sad when they die. Condolences.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

It certainly does matter in the grand scheme of things. Love between humans and animals enhances lives and makes the whole world better for them and us. Of course the cost of enjoying that love is the grief when a relationship ends.

Its not a small thing.

I am sitting here struggling to stretch to reach the keyboard as my adored cat has plonked herself inconveniently in my lap while I try and type with my computer relegated from laptop to knee brink.

She makes every day funnier, more cheerful and more loving. When her time comes, I hope she will be in my arms.

Lots of love to you xx

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

11. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. It is never easy and no you are not being silly nor is it a small thing .
    It's okay to grieve- in fact it is normal and necessary . I hope in time you will remember the fun times you had without feeling too sad .
    Sending you a hug if that's okay .

rach7 and minnie me like this.
  12. amica

amica New commenter

Feeling so sad for you tonight as you are parted from your furry friend. Be kind to yourself in the days to come and take the time to grieve as you need to and then remember the happy times. When my cat died I was comforted by the Rainbow Bridge story, and by the kindness of fellow cat-lovers on here.

13. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

So sorry for your loss, be kind to yourself, and don’t under estimate the impact or importance of your loss, they’re family

rach7 and minnie me like this.
  14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm so sorry to read this. Pets do become part of the family and it's not a small thing at all.

rach7, minnie me and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

16. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I’m so sorry - that’s so sad. It’s the price we pet-owners pay for loving our pets, I guess.

I know, as a devoted cat-lover, that you can take solace from the very long and happy life they had with you, and the fact that their end was with you, feeling safe and loved. I wish all my cats had easy end-of-life experiences but the sad truth is some didn’t, and for one I’ll simply never know what happened, which is far, far worse, believe me.

I have an elderly female rescue cat who is so sweet and affectionate, but is absolutely terrified of the whole vet experience - the box, the car journey, the waiting room... everything about it is awful. I just have to hope she can ‘slip away’ in her sleep, or in my arms like yours, when the time comes.

Thinking of you.

Marshall and rach7 like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think you gave your cat a fabulous life and you were so lucky to have each other. Never underestimate the strength of a bond like this. My cats have / do give me so much joy and I am grateful that they have been / are part of my life. So very sorry that you are suffering. It will get easier. Thinking of you too

Marshall and rach7 like this.
  18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So sorry. Your cat was part of the family and had been for a very long time. Thinking of you.

minnie me and rach7 like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bet they were 20 great years...

Sorry for your loss.

20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

My condolences.
    The death of a cat is so hard to explain to those who have not become enslaved.