1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My careers' advice "2xF: Fashion model or footballer" was spot on

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Jul 9, 2019.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

It was not my subject (sic)

But obviously, once in a blue moon, someone would solicit my opinion.

Whilst the younger and, I assert, more naively left wing colleagues insisted on recommending pupils in my (several) "bog-standard" [thank you Alistair and Tony] comprehensives to aim high and to aspire to jobs such as journalist, solicitor, magistrate, brain surgeon, Attorney General, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports or, if all else failed teacher, I always saw this as unwittingly but nonetheless self-evidently cruel.

"But they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting any (but one) those jobs" I would say.

"Negative, curmudgeonly old-fashioned, blinkered, fascist dream-destroyer " was their routine reply.

But know what ?

All these years later, the official (ok semi-official) figures are out.

And I was right all along.

Told you !

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-in-hands-of-private-school-elite-study-finds

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Negative, curmudgeonly old-fashioned, blinkered, fascist dream-destroyer ?

I have presented the evidence but it is for you to judge.

Sexist ?

Never!

I always pushed the boys to the catwalk.

And the girls to the "cancha"

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Kids have totally unrealistic ideas about jobs/careers (talking about my experience in primary). So many don't even know what their parents do for a living and that this work provides them with a home, etc.

So much more education needed about this. We need plumbers and electricians not 'celebrities' or footballers.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Kudos!!

And well done the Sutton Trust & Social Mobility Commission for finding it out!!!!

Mmmmm - or is it yours, and other Negative, curmudgeonly old-fashioned, blinkered, fascist dream-destroyer gainsayers responsibility for negatively impacting upon the aspirations of a huge swathe of the population?

And most importantly, where do I apply for the grant to find out the answer? The Minister of the Blood Leaking Obvious perchance or the genius who realised that an online mult/div national test was needed so that teachers could ascertain which of their charges hadn't learnt ways to quickly recall or derive multiplication facts up to 12 lots of 12?

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Furthermore, I an delighted that part of my tax went to fund the Social Mobility Commission to find this out - more money well spent by the DfE. Why would I want more pencils, photocopying paper or, heaven preserve us, proper books when astonishing, penetrative facts like this can be found out?

agathamorse likes this.