1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My boyfriend says he can find out all my passwords if he wants. Can he?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by veni_vidi, Dec 22, 2010.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

We were having a laugh, then the conversation turned to trust, then passwords. He said he can get all my passwords if he wants. Is this true? (He's not a techie, but is quite good on computers).
    Thanks (settle an arguement for us, ha)

2. Was he joking?
    That sounds incredibly possessive/controlling if he wasn't!

3. It is not difficult, if you have an easy one to crack or never empty your cache or if you have forgotten to not not click on "always remember this password for this site" etc.

4. If your computer saves your passwords for you it's very easy for him to get them.

5. I hope he was. I would be worried if not.
    It is one thing to know how to do it, an entirely other to actually do it.

6. He could, but you could also get his if he saves them on his computer.

Want to know how? [​IMG] (Well I only know if he saves them and uses Firefox but still.)

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If he has access to an account with Administrator privileges on your computer then it might be easier. Also if he knows your password and you're the Administrator that makes it easy.

If you've set your browser to remember passwords and you've let him use it then it's also possible, or if you use the same password for everything, or if you have the same password creating technique and he's got wise to it.

I'd suggest you completely clear your browsing history (including temporary files, history and cookies), change your account's log in password, then challenge him to prove his claim and show you how he does it.

If he's not actually a card carrying IT geek I'd suggest he's probably winding you up.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

For mozilla - tools- options- security- saved passwords- show passwords
    will show your TES login, what else could matter more?
    he will find it hard to get your password to windows from the login screen though

9. I agree with pff here.

10. Indeed.

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Absolutely 100% he can. There are programs which record your every keystroke. Trust me, I know this.

12. I wish someone could help me access mine. I am always having to click 'forgotten password' I hate the ones that say you need a combination of upper, lower case and numbers. I usually try my usual ideas and then give in and need them to send me a reminder once again. Writing them down defeats the security, but I think that I will have to doso.

13. I find it useful when the site gets a bit irritated and says things like

This will usually be your email address

Or

The password must be at least 7 letters long

Then I usually go ... Oh Yeah I remember ... I added an extra BLAH on the end

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

SImple - adopt a password policy. For example, take the name of the website (after www), transpose the first letter to the end and add a number that's significant to you.

That way you have a different password for each website, but you always have prompt handy to remember them.

I hasten to add that the above example isn't my chosen password policy!

15. Find a pattern - I will often use the same password but use the site I am accessing as a key to the password but numerically.
    I also have a certain rhythmn - a certain chronology of large and small letters plus allowed symbols, plus numbers.
    I will not divulge more, and I have told a wee white lie for security purposes [​IMG]

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

oh thats a new one on me....il remember that and delete it..but handy to know
    thanks

17. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

It also depends if you use a Firefox addon such as Xmarks to save all your passwords and be able to access it elsewhere.
    If your OH hypothetically found your Xmarks username and password and installed it as a Firefox add on, it will have all your passwords right there.

18. that's coming up a blank for me - i then tried putting 'tes' into the search box, but that didn't prompt anything
    for financial stuff, i have quite complicated passwords - mr post is going to have fun accessing things if i go under a bus ( I changed them all in the first place as he was using a very simple password for all applications including the bank - he then used the new bank password for reserving our mobile phone numbers and wrote it out and stuck it on the notice board [​IMG] I changed it again and he now whinges he can't remember it)

19. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I didn't follow most of them, but the general gist was that he prob could get my passwords. [​IMG]
    PFP & CQ, thanks for your conern, but it really wasn't like that. It started because I was on Facebook at the time, and I suggested he give me his password so i can't write how wonderful i am (as him). So it was all my fault really, ha ha. I just didn't know people (average, everyday people) could find out people's passwords.
    Actually he'd prob guess mine anyway, as he knows i use the same variation for most things.

20. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

*concern*
    *So i could write how wonderful I am (as him)*

It's too early!