1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My biltongs too wet!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ian60, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I completely understand why some of you may not want to enter a conversation given the heading.
    But for those of you who do appreciate the delights of sun dried animal, help!
    It's not often that we get biltong round here. So I bought a much larger lump than I would have normally, but it turned out to be wet.
    Can I dry it out in the fridge
    Thanks

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I completely understand why some of you may not want to enter a conversation given the heading.
    But for those of you who do appreciate the delights of sun dried animal, help!
    It's not often that we get biltong round here. So I bought a much larger lump than I would have normally, but it turned out to be wet.
    Can I dry it out in the fridge
    Thanks

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

No.
    Slice it into strips. Powder the strips with fine salt. Leave it out uncovered overnight on the kitchen counter, locking away your pets and children the while.
    Then wrap it loosely in tin foil and put it under the grill at a very low temperature to let it 'sweat'.
    Drain off any liquid and pat dry with kitchen paper, or unperfumed toilet roll, then put it back under the low-heat grill, uncovered, until it is dry but NOT crisping or charring/smoking. You'll need to monitor this process carefully - but which South African is not prepared to spend quality time keeping a watchful eye on his biltong?
    Refrigerate -not in the freezer - until it hardens.
    Remove from the electrodomestic apparatus and leave to regain ambient temperature.
    Then cut into bite-sized pieces and masticate slowly until orgasm occurs.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is posts like the ones above that make this forum worthwhile.
    And now for something equally important. I would like to buy some dried fish for Mrs Hippo. Russian ladies are very keen on something fishy called "silotka". Where can one buy this in Doha?

5. Biltong...a distant memory...wet or dry...

6. v12

v12

while listening to the wireless?

7. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

They had biltong in Spinney's at The Mall (Old airport) a few weeks back... perhaps try there for other dried foodstuffs?
    Good luck!
    Oh and to the OP - i'd hang it over the wires of the oven shelves on a low temp for a few hours to dry it out.

8. Ask not for whom the biltong
    Perchance he for whom this biltong may be so ill

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks for the tips, the trouble is they all involve not eating it now, which I'm not that good at.

When I worked in South Africa one of my favourite adverts in a magazine was for a trouser press which proudly boasted that it could make biltong in 48 hours. Why I didn't buy one I'll never know.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Because there's a catch. The meat has to be in the back pocket of the trousers.

11. My father, despite the disadvantage of being Australian, has learned to make excellent biltong using a food dryer. One of these appliances would be handy in your current dilemma.

I think I may ask him to start a batch tonight.

12. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

The preferred technique to make biltong once the meat is spiced (outside of SA) is by all accounts hanging in a cardboard box with holes for airflow and a 40W bulb inside it to provide a dry and slightly warm atmosphere, this would work. Alternately, the oven on a very very low heat would also help to dry it out. I did manage to dry some too wet 'tong out in my wardrobe once in Zimbabwe, just left it hanging there for a couple more weeks on a coathanger and it was perfect after that. If there is any chance of humidity, this will not work.

13. Didn't it make your clothes stink?

14. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Two wardrobes, and I left for there with hand luggage's worth of clothes, a suitcase of books and a portable stereo so I didn't have enough to fill one let alone two wardrobes at the time.