1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My big fat gypsy wedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I've set it to record, I watched the stand-alone programme when it was shown, and I thought it was very interesting, socially. A way of life I had no idea existed in Britain (yes, I know about gypsies, but only about their existence, not about their culture)

So yes! I will watch.

2. Well I am now

Why did I click ... ignorance was bliss

Fingers crossed MrRF will insist on watching some different rubbish [​IMG]

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Yes, all those demure little girls in white dresses giggling and whispering. In my opinion, she looked uncomfortable, bizarrely haggard and not remotely pretty or beautiful.
    I suppose the gypsy community may have been looking at those white dresses and cardigans with disdain- it all depends on upbringing, I suppose.

4. They go to about 15 weddings a year and have a new dress each time, average cost of dress £300?!

5. This may be a naive question, but where do they get enough money for ridiculously extravagant dresses/weddings/holidays from?

6. Horse sales at the Appleby fairs. Scrap metal sales. Building work etc.

I love learning about gypsy culture and taught many at my last school. Really lOvely children and much more respectful and well behaved in class than the benefit kids.

Mind you, pretty bias as I apparently descend from gypsies!

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Wowza, what a show. My jaw was on the table for half of it. Loved the fuzzed out faces on the accused.

8. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I still can't work out where all the money comes from. I've taught a few traveller children too and they were also very quiet and respectful although sadly not at all 'educated' in a school manner although no doublt they knew the Gypsy way!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I found it fascinating.....the look on the florist's face when told the bridesmaids' dresses were fluorescent pink....only a bit brighter! 'Roses don't come that colour pink' was the reply! Priceless!

10. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I loved the description - highlighter pink!
    Got to say Swanley was a really lovely chap - seemed so much more mature than many of the lads featured.

11. I used to teach the son of a gypsy king. Not quite sure how all that works but what that man said was law.
    His son, the gypsy prince Terry, was one of the few traveller children who regularly attended. Terry was a delightful lad. He was very good at maths especially mental maths. He had an ambition which was unique in my experience; to be a professional gambler in Las Vegas.
    I don't know whether he achieved his ambition. I hope so.

12. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Love it [​IMG]

13. It's up on 4 on demand on the channel4.com website if anyone missed this and did want to watch it.
    On the subject of random aspirations career-wise... my mum used to teach a journalism student whose only career ambition was to be a QVC presenter.

14. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I did feel sorry for that little girl at her First Holy Communion. She could barely walk in that dress and it made her look ever so slightly ridiculous in fron of her classmates to say the least.

15. BelleDuJour

That's because she did look riduculous! Poor thing!
    Those frocks must cost a small fortune. Think I might give up teaching and go into hideous, huge frock manufacture instead!

16. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Did you see how upset that blonde haired girl (a mate of Josie's) kept getting everytime she spoke about guys grabbing her?
    I bet all the girls have a rough time with it.

17. BelleDuJour

The grabbing was a bit grim. But the girls didn't give in.
    Interesting that they said only the girls had to keep themselves 'tidy' and never be seen alone or with a boy unaccompanied. The boys weren't expected to do the same.

18. I absolutely loved the show, I used to work in a sunbeds and the traveller girls kept us in business, they are so proud of the scars that their dresses give them, as bigger the scar- bigger the dress.

19. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]
    I guess they do not live by the 'less is more' philosophy!

20. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

It was quite bad when the girls said they were looking for a husband who was loyal and wouldn't go off with other women!
    I wonder how they also got away with not attending school after the age of eleven.