1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My big fat gypsy wedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Looking forward to watching this tonight. Having taught a lot of traveller children I was always amazed by the photographs they would bring in from family weddings. OTT is not the word.

2. Yes, this looks really good. There was one in the paper that had a 25 stone dress and another said the burns she got from the weight of her dress was well worth it!! They all go into a wedding trying to out do everyone in the community.

3. I'm loving it already. Luminous green and blue bridesmaid dresses!

4. I know, how great!

5. I like the girl trying to set a change in the trend with her fitted dress.

6. What are those young girls at the wedding disco wearing?!

7. [​IMG] That's what the Discos used to look like at my last school! Awful clothes but wonderful manners and much nicer than any of the benefit kids from the estate.

8. They are very saucy! Plus how can they be called travellers (sp?) if they live in flats and houses?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think Joan's a lovely girl.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think Joan's a lovely girl.

11. and me.

Her Mum is quite scary, but Joan is genuinely sweet.

12. Travellers who live in houses are ***. That's why a true traveller will get very offended if you call them a ***.

13. begins with p, rhymes with spiky

14. Oh so the ones on here were not actually travellers then? I thought Joan was lovely too and felt sorry for the mum that was worried the reception would get cancelled.

15. well they are travellers but less respected in the community...notice how their wedding was so much quieter than the others.
    Did you see the woman in black and white....what a vision!

16. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I don't think the girl who got married at the end of the programme really wanted to. She seemed very negative about married life and it only dawned on her that there would be a marriage, as well as a wedding day, a few days before she tied the knot. Interesting documentary.

17. I thought it was very interesting how insistent everyone was about the lack of sex before marriage, girls being very sheltered etc, but no-one seemed to explain how it was OK for these paragons of feminine virtue to wear such eye-popping outfits.

18. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Especially the pregnant woman in the burlesque corset- blimey!

19. It's a way of attracting a mate!

20. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

The weddings and that horse fair are their chance to meet prospective spouses- the girls are obviously marketing their wares!