1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Big Fat Gipsy Wedding-is it just me who feels uneasy ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Anybody watching this ?
    Is anybody else feeling uneasy about how these young children are dressed and encouraged to behave ?
    Ok- it could be the edit of the programme that exaggerates things ?
    Either way should it be on T.V ? Don't you feel the children are vulnerable both in reality and in their media exposure- ?
    Is it one of those grey areas around safeguarding ?
    How would you feel if they were children from your class ? Would you take it further or would you consider it not to be any of your business ?

2. So do we just accept this "sexualisation" of six year olds as cutural difference, or poor representation by the media, or worse
    http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/853756-big-fat-gypsy-weddings-under-fire-for-showing-eight-year-olds-pole-dancing

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm afraid I haven't seen the programme Hedda but I think the "sexualisation" of six year olds (and younger) isn't limited to one culture. A walk around the clothes departments of many high street stores would suggest it's very common.

4. I think you are quite right.
    Now we all know the theories about role play and dressing up , but these "slapper" outfits for the tines are their day clothes and I imagine that we all see elements of that clothing arriving in our nurseries.
    I have always been anti uniform for tinies but now I am starting to change my mind.
    Also when we sees "slapper" play in our role play areas and playgrounds and the hip grinding dancing , do we let it happen , do we stop it, or do we guide it.