1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My bedroom blog

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Jun 27, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

No - there will be no saucy secrets (unless my luck changes!)
    I have procrastinated about the decoration of my bedroom for years. I am finally getting around to tackling it. I made a promise to myself when I retired that I would get it done but here I am a year later and not a lot has happened.
    Setting the scene:- my bedroom has always been the last room I have worried about in terms of decoration. It has a mismatch of furniture, white and pine, old and very very old. Never enough space to put clothes away properly so always something piled up or thrown over chairs etc. You get the picture?
    So here we are. I've cleared the clothes and put them into bin bags except for the ones I might need for the next couple of weeks. I've freecycled a wardrobe, 2 chest of drawers and ebayed 1 dressing table.
    Have thoroughly enjoyed the process of choosing wallpaper (this started last August) with I've lost count of how many samples I've had bluetacked to the wall. Have finally made a decision and bought the 'plain' and know what I will be using for the 'feature wall'.
    Was out browsing for accessories yesterday and bought 1 cushion, some lovely butterfly crystal hangers and some wooden hanging hearts.
    So the procrastination is over and TODAY I will finally get around to some real work ie stripping wallpaper!
    Will let you know how I get on.

2. Are you sure you should be rushing like this? Take a month or two until you are really sure. Seriously - Hope the first strip of paper has already taken place. Good luck,.

3. angiebabe

Ok its 10.41 and I still haven't started.
    Got the paper stripper from the shed, found a clean bucket and a sponge the mice have not chewed (don't even ask) but NO SCRAPER! Found lots of nice new brushes and roller replacements from the last time I decorated the dining room - both of which I bought new ones of last week, isnt it always the way?
    Have had a cup of tea and read 2 chapters of John Grisham's 'The Confession' and got a score of 15 on Radio 2's Pop Master.
    Now will have to go and buy a scraper so might as well purchase the feature wall wallpaper whilst I am there, oh and of course check out the table lamps. Which also means I will have to get changed from the minging outfit I've got on now.
    So far so good.

4. angiebabe

Oh forgot to add, I've put on a wash of curtains that I got off freecycle for friend who wants to cut them up (they were so smelly and yuk that I was tempted to just bin them but the guy was so nice, maybe they'll be ok after a wash, couldn't bring myself to just hand them over to my friend as they are).

5. angiebabe

Thanks for the encouragement midgey [​IMG]

6. # get 'em off...get 'em off...get 'em off #

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I wondered how long it would take a rampant Bauble to enter an unsuspecting ladies bedroom. Just glad Olds is away frightening Haggis' or no doubt he would have won the race here!

8. angiebabe

Ok its 13.32 - how far do you think I've got with the striping? (Thanks for your encouragement Baubs, knew I could rely on you.)
    Well, on the way to buying a scraper I went to Homebase to look at the table lamps again (must be at least the 4th time) and actually bought 2. Also had to check out the reduced section but bought the scraper + paintbrush cleaner + turps.
    Paid for them then realised I should have waited till I got to B&Q (which is where the feature wallpaper is coming from) as it is Diamond Day and I could have got 10% off. Hey ho, I'm always doing that.
    Before I got to B&Q however I stopped off at Homebargain for kitchen roll and of course had a look around, leaving with a carrier bag full of stuff I didn't know I was short of?
    Finally got to B&Q and bought wallpaper but before I could go home decided to go to Tesco to put air in my tyres, not that this is a requirement for decorating but because I actually remembered that I needed air in my tyres when I was near a place where I could put air into my tyres. That too was a little fraught as I was too far away from the machine to hear it beep if I had reached the correct pressure (which I also guessed as because this is a new car and not put air in before today). Also lost one of the little screw caps that go over the thingy you put air into - searched but think its gone inside the wheel trim somehow [​IMG]
    So now home again. Put out the washed fabric and prayed for a dry day. Had lunch and read a little more of The Confession whilst listening to Vanessa Feltz discussing Fifty Shades of Grey.
    So here I am now about to start - no that's a lie, I have sprayed my first wall and am ready to strip. Oh will have to turn the striper on to heat up first of course.
    Will let you know how I get on.[​IMG]
    Oh forgot to mention that whilst searching for my stanley knife I found the scraper that I've had for about 10 years, so really didnt need to go out and buy a new one after all.[​IMG]

9. angiebabe

14.59 - time for a break. Need to catch a few rays before they disappear, so half an hour in the garden methinks.
    BTW I have stripped 1 and 1/4 walls. Very please with myself.

10. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Angiebabe, this is brilliant. Keep it coming and good luck!

11. angiebabe

Oooo thanks lunarita.
    15.59 - now hot and sweaty, clouds overhead so back to the striping!

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Make yer mind up, Angie.
    Are you "stripping" or "striping" ?[​IMG]

13. angiebabe

Er - think its both as the wallpaper has stripes!

14. If you are stripping be careful of the old, wrinkly bits around the bottom..

...of the radiator.

15. angiebabe

Thanks for the advice Baubs its always important to look after me bottom bits.
    I posted on here at 18.50 to say that I had finished - but the post disappeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To recap - all of my bedroom is stripped except for a few stubbon border bits arrgghhh. Knocked over a 1/4 bucket of water but no other mishaps. Room is therefore ready for the next phase, whatever and whenever that may be.
    Have treated myself to 2 non-alcoholic beers (trying to have a couple of dry nights each week [​IMG]) and steak off the barbie with a nice salad.
    Sat and read my book with half an eye on the footy but when I came to move out of the armchair felt like a 90yr old with a bad back and two recent hip replacements!
    Will have to clear all the stuff off my bed that I stored there because the spare room is so full of my <strike>****</strike> lovely stuff but am looking forward to a good night's sleep [​IMG].

16. angiebabe

Oh I am glad I used warm water to tackle those stubborn border bits, the feel of it trickling down my arm was quite nice [​IMG]
    Well they've all gone - those stubborn bits. Just couldnt get the screws out of the thingys that hold up the curtain pole. Will have to leave that one to bro.
    Also sorted through some old school stuff and put lots of paper in recycle bag. Do you think I can get rid of my mark book and progress reports etc from last July, seeing as I am now retired?
    Time for a cuppa and a cake - I wonder what has Marlin left for me?

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I didn't have the heart to eat all of the eclairs - I saved one for you [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll pour the tea,
    [​IMG]
    Can't think why you would ever need them.

18. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Glad you ate the last eclair.
    I'm enjoying your blog too. How many people do you need to be reading before you start getting on with it? [​IMG]
    I'm the decorator in our house, OH always needs to "just go and get xyz" from DIY store every time we are about to get started. [​IMG]

19. angiebabe

Oh no! 19.00
    The afternoon tea turned into a beer in the garden with me book and then a g&t watching the tennis.
    Which will now turn into another beer watching the footy.
    Won't be doing any more tonight but promise I will do something tomorrow, not sure yet what that will be but I will do something!
    Thanks for eclair btw.
    guinnesspuss - I'm not waiting for a specific number of readers just trying to embarrass myself into actually doing some. Yesterday worked, not sure about today [​IMG]

20. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Encouragement ...
    Do this ....
    [​IMG]
    Get this ...
    [​IMG]