1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My annual Christmas rant (earlier than ever this year)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Well, better out than in, doomzebra.[​IMG]

2. I'll look forward to the next instalment!

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Haha to the Heston one.

4. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Total respect - already looking forward to your rant in December 2012!

5. v12

v12

Superb.
    I'm not correcting your spelling, Doom, but just seeing if the proper version is not allowed and is replaced by asterisks....
    Berk

6. v12

v12

Ooo. It was allowed!

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Love this rant!! [​IMG]
    It always amazes me why folk bedeck their homes with tat.
    And as for the Santa climbing up a ladder to a window, am I the only person to find this deeply disturbing? The first time I saw this 'decoration' was at dusk and I was reaching for my 'phone to call the rozzers. I thought it was a particularly inept burglar!
    [​IMG]

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

That utterly nauseating BBC Christmas plug with all those insincere has-beens singing. (Boak)
    Prices going up in the shops.
    Old people farting about shopping on saturdays (go in the week, its the same stuff!)

9. Actually, I think that MORE things should be accompanied by the Ghurka Ukulele Orchestra. That was, however, the only one of your points with which I took issue.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Excellent stuff

11. I doff my cap to you, good sir Doomy. Have you thought of joining my new club: SWAQ? (The acronym stands for Scrooge Was A Quitter) - I feel you would fit in well.

cyolba, wondering why a "New York Cheesecake" (as advertised by Asda) is considered to be Christmas Fayre :)

12. We have one near us that has icicle lights on the leylandii in the garden. Well, they're meant to look like icicles... in reality they bear an unfortunate resemblence, owing to the two lumpy bits at the top and a lumpy "authentic icicley shape" bit at the bottom, to a man's underpant contents. You can't un-see the widdler tree once you've seen it as such, and can actually give people directions to your house on a night with "take the second left after you've passed the tree with widdler lights on it" and they work!

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Any chance of putting a picture up, must be a sight to see!! Our town turned the lights on last Friday, no lights on houses here, not that there are any usually!

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I would do the same.
    Half the fun is in choosing something utterly inappropriate.
    This is for you.
    [​IMG]

15. I do hope those kittens are held together with superglue or a kebab skewer.

cyolba, a fan of all things feline :)

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I'd like to add a moan about doing christmas dinner for 12. Again. Why can't someone else take a turn?

17. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Probably inspired by The Pogues "Fairytale in New York"

18. I have that number myself for Christmas dinner. Apparently it's the ownership of a fine pair of bosoms that makes it mine or my sister's turn every year. The remaining family members (apart from my elderly mum) are of the male persuasion and haven't got the appetite for napkin folding, hours browsing the Good Food website for Sprout recipes and the ability to seat 12 people on a table built for six! Okay I love it really but don't expect me to get involved in washing any dishes on Christmas day!!

19. Excellent thread! You'd love Australia where, when Christmas is in the middle of summer, people still spray their windows with fake snow!!!!! Shops blasting out "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" Aye. RIght. And people sitting down to a full roast dinner in 40degree heat. Even worse is the whole idea of "Christmas in July" ..... once a year is enough!!!!

20. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I am very, very impressed!
    As a confirmed Christmas lover, most of your rant I would disagree with, but on your ability to rant, you cannot be faulted!
    Have you thoght about combining these rants Bridgetesque style? Could be a real money spinner, and fund your trips to Korea or other Countries where it is just a one day holiday. [​IMG]
    I look forward to thebooks(s).