1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My agency is overrun with primary bookings..

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, Jan 25, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Just got a call from my agency asking me to work in year 5, i accepted even though I usually only do (and get quite a lot of) Reception to year 4 bookings. My agent said theyd been overrun with bookings this week and they wouldn't usually ask me but almost all other teachers were booked (except secondary of course). Goes to show there is lot of work out there sometimes...

2. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

My agency was still spouting rubbish today when I told them that I was no longer available for work after securing a maternity cover. She seemed genuinely happy for me actually which was a surprise. She then started going on about how they were 'expanding' and had 2 more consultants so the next time I needed them she said it would be like a different place and 'busier than ever.' Yeah right, just like 'things would pick up soon' as I was promised umpteen times. I honestly don't believe a word they say.

3. Are they actually telling you the truth or is it all hype????????
    I'm not so sure.....

4. I got work this week and there was three supply teachers in the school.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm really very pleased for you all, but incredibly jealous - I've yet to receive a phone call for work and now 3 ex-colleagues, who I've approached for voluntary work, haven't managed to get' back to me', so I take thatto be a no! [​IMG]

6. Where are you based Lara? Come down to my neck of the woods. Mind you I don't know what the secondary scene is like. My agency only deals with Primary.

7. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

what rates are they paying?

8. Primary supply seems to be overrun at the moment. Been booked in advance for three days and called up for the other two.The school I was in today had at least 6 supply teachers in (both regular cover and last-minute call ups).
    There seem to be some nasty little bugs going round, plus a lot of work that schools are trying to get on top of. I even found myself in Foundation this week, which was a situation I swore I would never get myself into

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

"Primary supply seems to be overrun at the moment. . . . .The school I was in today had at least 6 supply teachers!"
    Now, . . that's probably why I'm not getting much work! Most of the Primary schools in my rural LA only <u>have</u> 6 teachers, let alone the chances of them all being off-sick at any one time!

10. In the school I worked in 2 days this week (primary) there was myself and a TA from my agency. However...I wouldn't say "overrun" in this area, as this was the first work I've had since starting in January.

11. I am paid &pound;120 a day plus 12% holiday pay. But I am on UPS2.

12. Fair point: a lot of schools are two-form entry round here.
    I wonder how London Primary Supply compares, as I am sure there are large Primary schools there as well?