1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My 2nd idea....sorry...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I apologise for yet another post about my interview lesson for a group of 4 Year 2 children.

I have had a change of heart.
    The basic outline involves beginning the lesson with feely bag and ask one child to come out and feel inside. They have to give clues to the rest of the children about how it feels and the others have to guess what they think it might be. (I'm thinking i might scribe the clues). As there are only 4 children I am going to put them into two pairs and give them a sparkly box each with an item in. They have to look inside their box and write clues describing the item using desribing words. I am going to get them to come out afterwards and read out their clues. The other pair have to guess what is in the box.

This is very basic outline.

Do you think I should get them to write their clues on a whiteboard or on paper?

Any ideas again would be greatly appreciated. :0)

2. Hi
    I would get them to write their clues on a whiteboard, or maybe you could use some recording equipment (chatterbox, talk time card etc) and they can record their clues.
    With regards to the rest of the lesson, what is the learning objective going to be? Will you be teaching them what adjectives/describing words are first? Do you know their ability?
    :)

3. It says they are mixed ability.

I was thinking the lesson objective is to be able to describe an object using describing/wow words.

Yes I will recap describing words, asking them if they know what they are and maybe get an example.

I'm just not sure if it lacks focus?

The activity is to do a 20 minute writing activity using a visual aid.

x

4. Something I did quite recently was to bring in a wooden, carved wand. I had made up a story about it's making previously (tree struck by lightening, wizard able to make wand from strick tree etc.) Then, after we had "tested" the wand (turning children "invisible" - the others in the class kept up the act) I asked the children to write a piece of descriptive writing about either the wand, the tree or the wizard. I used lots of pictures and music. This worked really well, even though we did have an hour, not 20 minutes! This could be simplified though - using a wand/mysterious box etc to generate <u>very </u>quick discussion and descriptions orally, then they could use this input to create some descriptions.

5. Hi there, that sounds like a lovely idea. But I have to do a writing activity so I am really conscious of getting them to write. I know I will have to do some input but i feel i need to get them onto the writing quickly. But I feel like I should maybe be doing something that extends their writing, expecially for the higher ability.

Writing is such a hard activity in such a short space of time!

6. Oh sorry, you said descriptions at the end...i thought you said 'discussion' lol sorry. My brain is frazzled!

7. inq

inq

If you went along the 'interesting' wand route then could you one of them to wave it at you and say the necessary magic word and you say what you can now see e.g. white sand, small waves on the sparkling blue sea etc then you wave it at a child and get them to describe what they can see. They could then all sit down and you wave the wand and they all write what they can see withsentences with plenty of description for HA, short phrases for MA, labelled picture if very LA - check who is which ability first. It could also be what you become rather than what you see.