1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Muzzled MPs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Dec 8, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well, technically muzzled general election candidates since the status of MP does not apply during purdah.

Specifically Diane Abbott and Jacob Reed Mogg. Both strangely quiet and largely invisible to the media, despite the positions they held prior to the election campaign.

I suspect that they have been told to keep their mouths shut and keep out of sight in order to avoid compromising the chances of success for their respective parties.

However, if they are seen as a liability now, why can't they be seen as a liability once put in a position of government responsibility?

Neither, in my view, should be anything but back benchers.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Francois too - in fact most of the ERG have been totally invisible.

You can bet they won't be after Friday.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Fears grow over fate of missing simpleton Mark Francois

(Actually, he was on Peston on Wednesday, but I don't think anyone's interested now that the ERG is signed up to Boris's deal.)

magic surf bus and nomad like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

100% agree.

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lol! The most high profile candidate that has been muzzled is Bojob himself!

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

And he's been muzzling himself. I can't think why.

anotherauntsally and nomad like this.
  7. florian gassmann

Considering he has had a NATO summit this last week and a terrorist incident with Cobra meetings last week, as well as having a country to run, a party to lead, and a constituency to fight, he has appeared on a surprisingly large number of broadcasts, including two head-to-heads with Corbyn and an Andrew Marr.

Now, if you had wondered why Diane Abbott, Keir Starmer and Emily Thornberry have been kept away from the limelight ...

(Thornberry may have been muzzled because she accidentally said on TV last month that she hoped the UK would vote to leave the EU in a second referendum, later blaming the early hour of Good Morning Britain for her evident confusion).

Kandahar and nomad like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can't help thinking this muchly-memed image (lest we forget) has something to do with Cholmondeley-Warner's disappearance:

[​IMG]

Talk about a vote winner for Labour.

Likewise I'm sure Ms Abbott has run up a good few votes for the Tories. Corbyn's probably got her locked in the attic to keep his mad old aunt company. :)

Maybe she could share a platform with Elvis Costello to restore her coolness credentials with voters? Oops, no, hang on.. maybe not.

nomad likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Tories have run a truly disgraceful campaign.

Shame they have no real opposition.

TCSC47 and Laphroig like this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

sorry but I feel angry about the way johnson has manipulated people in deprived areas and also about how corbyn is hanging on to power...

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

To be fair he did take time out from the campaign to visit some of his children.
    ac370f5c0990b5f763209d9485ebf960.jpg

12. magic surf bus

In the interests of accuracy I've found the original image from which the colourised version above was derived:

JRM.jpg

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Oh come on! His minders, (Cummings and all) wouldn't let him go anywhere near Andrew Neil! Muzzled with a damn great leather muzzle, probably with shiny studs!! So blooody obvious.

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Johnson is a disgrace and I am so disappointing and depressed that some people still think he is fit to run our society (even hopefully not by example), or to represent us to the rest of the world.

Come on we all KNOW this man is a self serving disgrace and with the morals of an ally cat. It is just that some in our society are lining up to profit from the mess and morass he is sliming us into, and try and make out he is a worthy Human Being.

He is not. He is nowhere near.

Sally006 and nomad like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Shame the alternative is the number one antisemite of 2019 according to the Simon Wiesenthal centre.

nomad likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

That, too. What is the point of doing yet another TV appearance when your party is well ahead in the polls and there is nothing new to be said?

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Of course there's something new to be said - it's called the truth.

TCSC47, Sally006 and Dodros like this.
  18. magic surf bus

Andrew Neil - editor of The Sunday Times 1983-94

Boris Johnson - trainee Times journalist 1987, sacked for falsifying the details of a report.

No embarrassing history there then.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

You'll wait a long time to hear that from any politician. What time did Corbyn say he listens to the Queen's Christmas message? :rolleyes:

border_walker likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

I imagine the Queen wouldn't be able to tell you the time of Corbyn's Christmas message either. :)