1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mute in Year 3

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by hayleyfrancis, May 26, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I have an interview tomorrow and need to teach a 30 minute lesson about the use of adverbs. Inititally I wanted to use lots of partner talk but I have just found out that one child in the class is mute. I'm not sure if they are selective or not but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice/hints on how to go about catering for this need in order to make the lesson fully inclusive.

Thanks!

2. Use mini whiteboards?

3. I'd provide an activity such as a card sort activity for the pairs to do so that if the child couldn't contribute verbally, s/he could show learning by sorting the cards. We have such a pupil in our school and she does very well when activities involve listening, reading and writing.

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Do they use any form of signing? Do they use symbols? I have a selective mute in my class (special school) and he will sign and uses a symbol based communication book (non-reader). Could you provide some sort of written / pictoral cards to use? Good luck?