1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Must see tv: The Killing,BBC4

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Aug 20, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

10pm tomorrow,BBC4. If you've missed it the first time round,it's great!

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

10pm tomorrow,BBC4. If you've missed it the first time round,it's great!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What's it about?

4. Is it the original one? Watching the American version which is good but everyone says not as good as the original?

Belle, it's about the murder of a teenage girl.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,it's the original Danish version which was already shown on BBC4 a few months ago. Well worth the effort of the subtitles. I'm currently watching the American version on More4. It's not bad but notwhere near as good as the original.
    Belle,it's a multistrand mystery about a murdered girl.

6. Thank you for that, now set to record! Don't want to miss it again!

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Make sure you put it on a series link as they are showing episodes every evening.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I started watching the American one and was impressed at how closely they'd stuck to the original but the original is better and well worth the effort. It was on at the same time as Luther so a lot of people missed out on a far better programme.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed it is. We were lucky to see it from the very first episode and it became must see tv in our house. So good right to the final reveal.

10. Thank you will do !!

11. It's brilliant. We started watching the US version, but had to give up because we kept laughing at the incongruously dressed woman detective, who was wearing a Scandinavian-style jumper for (presumably) no better reason than that the original character had worn a similar one.

12. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I
    I've wondered about those jumpers too. It rains a lot in Seattle but there's no need to live in those jumpers and jeans although she managed to pull an attractive fiancee in them! I thought that The Killing was going to go all Twin Peaksy at one point - a series and film that I adored in my student days but I guess there'll be nothing quite like that again!

I also love BBC's The Hour and am gutted that it finishes this week.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I shall Sky+ it so as not to forget!
    Thanks

14. I pretty much agree with that. The female detective in the US version smiled too much, too.
    The original was fantastic and the subtitles are not hard to deal with at all. The acting is top-notch.

15. Me too. It took a while to get going but I'm glad I stuck with it. Freddie, as played by Ben Whishaw, is such a brilliant actor.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm enjoying it too - Dominic West could give his The Wire colleague, Idris Elba, a few lessons.in 'less is more'. Both were brilliant in The Wire but West has been excellent in The Hour.

17. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Have just watched the first episode of the Danish version (I'm up to date on the US one) and I can't understand why they remade it. With the exception of subtitles, it is identical. The weather, the homes, the landscape, the music - even the characters look and dress the same. I can see why people prefer the Danish version - it somehow seems more 'real'. Very strange to have 2 series, almost identical, running at the same time!

18. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

The Danish version is fab! I've just chanced upon it this week after a row with my husband - went and watched the telly in a different room, (had I not, I wouldn't have seen it as I never get the remote when we watch tv together). I'm definitely hooked but I did look on BBC4 to see when all episodes will be shown and cn only se up until next thursday - episode 10! I'm sure I read it is a 20 episoder so am hoping they just haven't scheduled the week after yet ;o( Brilliant tv - worth having a row for!!! [​IMG]

19. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

Thanks for introducing me to this, OH and I are now addicted to it!

20. Thank you also from me! We are really enjoying it, learning quite a few Danish swear words in the process! Mind you , the other night my husband turned up the sound to try and hear better when it's all in sub-titles...
    Can't help feeling that a liaison officer keeping the Birk Larsons up to date would have saved some of the agro, but we would then have missed some of the drama! Such a slow, but gripping series... a bit like 24 but much more realistic in that they do eat sometimes!