1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Must Reads

Discussion in 'Book club' started by littlebirdyy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

But the Scott deserves adding to your reading pile! [​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems to me that a quartet is a pile all on its own!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I strongly recommend The Lacuna - fascinating. I have Flight Behaviour on my wishlist. I will buy it to read during my holiday.

4. I shall have a charity shop trawl for it tomorow BS....

5. camis

camis New commenter

Barbara Kingsolver - I loved Pigs in Heaven but couldn't get in to The Poisonwood Bible. I know there is another thread on Ann Patchett, but Bel Canto is one of my favourite books.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

She is one of my favourite authors.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I found A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks very thought provoking as it touches on several themes which somehow knit together.

8. 576

576 Established commenter

I've got the hundred year old man on my reader ready and waiting so glad that that's been recommended.

The woman who went to bed for a year is an enjoyable light read.

9. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I enjoyed this too.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've just finished a real page turner called The Piano Teacher by Janice Lee, set in Hong Kong during and after the Japanese occupation in WW2. Riveting!

11. Lots of interesting suggestions here. Like somebody said, tastes vary - I couldn't stand 'The 100 Year Old Man' though I did get to the end! Mine would be...Virginia Woolf's 'Making Lemonade'.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am a big Grisham fan, and have just read - reading late into the night - an excellent contender for the Grisham-Runner-Up.

Scott Turow: Presumed Innocent.

He has written a few courtroom/lawyer novels, I understand, and this was the first.

Can't wait to read the others! When I've read The Bone Season. [​IMG]

13. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Read The One Hundred Year Old Man... on holiday. I enjoyed it and annoyed my OH by laughing in the middle of the night. Also read Skios, mentioned on another thread. It scrambled my brain every time I looked up and remembered I was in France, not Greece.

Going back to the OP, I wouldn't say either book is one everybody should read. On the other hand, I read The Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar - an extraordinary book, I'd recommend to anyone. Do not be put off by the classical setting: it's a portrayal of the inner life of a man - any man in any era.

14. A Week in December was my first attempt at a Sebastian Faulks novel and I couldn't put it down. Others which have stuck with me (not all literary works sorry!) have been Karen Armstrong's Through The Narrow Gate, Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife and Sue Miller's The Senator's Wife.

And the teacher geek in me LOVED Just My Type!!! by Simon Garfield. OH is threatening to burn it as he thinks the only fonts which should be allowed are arial and times new roman :)

15. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Alice Walker's The temple of my familiar would be my must read, I think (and almost anything by John Steinbeck).

The hundred yr old man is definitely one of my favourites of the last few years as is The Dinner (?) by Hernan Koch- though that one seems to be a bit of a marmite choice.

16. Must read: 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. I first read it in 1991 and have read it every year since. In fact I'm now on my second copy. It's a complex book with multiple story lines running through it, and it's not the easiest of reads but well worth it. The sequels suffer from the Law of Diminishing Returns; 'Dune Messiah' and 'Children of Dune' are good, 'God Emperor of Dune', 'Heretics of Dune' and 'Chapterhouse Dune' not so good.

17. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Is The Temple of my Familiar better than The Color Purple because that's one of my most detested books of all time.